1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips please..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Selvi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Spring is almost here.. This is the first spring in my house and Im planning to have a herb & vegetable garden.. Also some flowers too.. Please provide ideas on what to plant and how or anything which comes to ur mind.

Thanks!!!

:)

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Try Chyrsanthemums...

Hi Selvi,

You will get a lots of mums plants in lots of nurseries like wal-mart, garden ridge, home depot, etc.

Try the different colors of chrysanthemums...they grow easily, not much watering or minerals are required. Each pot gives 2 bunches of flowers within short intervals. Also, you can use the chrysanthemum to decorate your pooja place.

Have a happy spring!

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Gardening

Hi Selvi,

You need to consider the weather in your place before you embark on a project. In CA, it is okay to plant almost anything as the winters are mild. In States with severe winters, you need to make sure to plant things that are cold resistent.

check out hgtv.com. They have some good tips on planting gardens.

Vandhana

4. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

gardening tips

Hi Selvi,
    In Wal Mart they sell lot of seeds for veges, flowers in the garden section.they give the instructions too. For herbs-I use coriander seedds for kothamalli,for pudina just plant the sticks after using all leaves.I also use tomato seeds and red chilli seeds for planting.Please try Miracle Gro soil,it works very well.

Happy Gardening.
    love,
    mohana.

1 person likes this.
  5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies for all the tips!!! I m in Michigan, so seeing bright sunlight outside(but still feels so cold) has been the cheerful thing this week. I hope to get started on gardening soon.

Thnx again!

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Advises pls..

Hi friends,

I live in NJ and the climate is still in 40s. So, pls suggest me what kind of plants I can grow(veggies/flowers)? Have bought carrot and beet seeds. Is it ok to start planting now ??

Mohana, have you tried using red chillies seeds & tomato seeds to grow up and did you succeed?

Rathi, does chrysanthemums need more sunlight?

Waiting for yr replies..

Thanks n Rgds.

7. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

gardening tips

Hi Ami,
    I live in CT, very near to u,the same temperature. This year I already started my planting in March first week. I keep all pots nearby windows to get the sunlight. Then in April once the rain starts I put all pots outside.I am getting succeed every year using red chilli&tomato seeds,so neenga try panni parunga.For flowers I usually buy in the plant sale from my daughters school.I never tried any other vege seeds. I am using Miracle Gro soil,its really works well,no need any fertilizers.
    Happy Gardening,
    mohana.

8. ARCHNA

ARCHNA New IL'ite

selvi im in mi too where r u from? i'm in canton near the hindu temple. plannin on doing some gardening too. but need ideas

9. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

oh. good.. Im in Troy. I have heard about that temple.. Never been there, how is it?

I have only coriander in the kitchen window now, planning to put some mint, tomato & chilli outside soon. As Mohana said, I have heard that Miracle Grow works good.

10. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Miracle-Gro soil good for flowers & vegetable plants

Hi,

Good to know so many being interested in gardening.

I have tried chrysanthemums - they need moderate sunlight. But not necessary leave in the sunlight for long. You can also leave it near the place where you get good daylight, not to be left in dark.

I have tried hibiscus - but after a particular length you need to plant it directly in the ground. Potting will not help to grow and give big flowers.

I have also tried cherry tomatoes - they need good sunlight & water.

Trying mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds will be a good idea in small pots. They will look beautiful. They just need water, not much sunlight.

Also, try to get tulsi plants from the temples nearby - it will go as an offering to the temple, as well as good to grow a herb at home. But try to water the plant only when you are neat and clean. This needs regular watering, not much sunlight.

I too use Miracle-Gro soil, it is very good for both flowers and vegetable plants.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.