1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Clay pot's disintegrating and crumbling outer surface.. Resulting damage

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Viny, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Hi all,

I am new to gardening and trying my hand in container gardening in my balcony. I bought some clay pots from the Gardner who visits my society very often for open area maintenance. He probably have bought them from some roadside vendor. Right after planing cuttings into them and subsequent watering I noticed white colored patches on the outer side of the pots. Gradually the outer surface of the pots are disintegrating and crumbling and the clay is shedding off. It looks like swollen up patches and if I scratch it rather even touch it, the outer surface falls off. :bang

This ways the pots are being damaged. The outer design of the clay has just disappeared and its getting deteriorated by every passing day. If I don't use water it becomes dry but as soon as I start watering the white stuff again appears on the outer surface. :rant

Can anyone help me how to fix this problem. Pots are being kept outside under direct sunlight.

Also please help me how to choose a strong pot I mean the signs of a strong adequately fired clay pot. I have a feeling that thses pots are not adequately fired. not sure :hide:

Please advice..

Thanks in advance..

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

it looks like the pots was just dried, and not baked..when you buy clay pots, just rap/knock on the pot with your knuckles and you will get a good sound..if it is not baked evenly, the sound is not so clear...

these pots can not be salvaged unless you can take it to somebody who deals with them..

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Shanthi, that is what I thought that we find out by knocking with knuckles - was not sure! Viny I agree with Shanthi, they simply are not baked enough, may be just molded and dried? Do you think you can keep these pots in nice plastic bins so that they don't fall off and your plants continue to be in the earthen pots? or may be simple repot them! Sorry there seems to be no other solution!

4. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy & Srama,

You know, I Think you are right, as I myself also researched a little over the net and found that these are the symptoms of those pots which are not fired enough to be strong, but was not very sure. When they were new they had nice waves made on upper edge and bricks like design on the outer surface (looked like terracotta). The Gardner told me that these pots lasts for long and hence a little expensive. I didn't mind paying a little extra for the durable stuff. he simply made a fool of me... isn't it :(

Okei now, the idea of using plastic bins is good but some of them are really big in size. What about using plaster Of Paris on the outer side to stop the damage.

let me upload some pics of those pots to have a look at the condition.

1 person likes this.