1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumber

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by aforalpha, Jun 5, 2012.

1. aforalpha

aforalpha Junior IL'ite

Hello Members

My FIL had been to Thanjavur and brought home a bunch of ripe Cucumbers (vellari pazham). Tasted much like musk melon (kirni pazham). The seeds were taken dried and sown in a pot. They sprouted within 2-3 days, and are growing healthy since then.

The question is what should we have to do next?

Transplanting does not seem to be my strength.. I had posted earlier a thread for transplanting of tomatoes.. which I managed to do, very patiently. Though I cannot say I was very successful.. most of the transplanted ones seem to have whithered away.

Can I simply keep the saplings in the pot itself, so the strongest/healthiest one grows? I had earlier posted pictures of the "Pandal" we had setup. Does the cucumber grow like pumpkins on the ground? Or do I need to let them grow over the Pandal?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

2. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

hi aforalpha
    you seem to be so lucky. as you say, in my personal experience, plants whither away when we transplant. ofcourse, i don't damage even the slightest roots. also i keep the original oil around the roots while shifting them.
    but i feel you cannot grow the cucumber in pots. as i am not so knowledgeable, feel experts should guide you properly.
    but i am so happy that cucumber sprouted into young baby saplings !!!!!!

3. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Cucumber is a creeper. it is best grown by supporting the plant while it grows. it can be left on ground but while you water the plant the moist might damage the young cucumbers. you can support the plant when it starts bearing flowers and young fruits. while the fruits are big enough you can leave the creeper on the ground. but creepers are best grown with good support.

Transplanting needs practice. timing is very crucial, age of the plant etc. the best time to transplant saplings is evening time just before the sun set. the heat is mild and just sufficient to support the plant. if you dont want to take chances then try to remove few sapplings which are very near.

bye!
    sudha

4. aforalpha

aforalpha Junior IL'ite

Hello Rajsai

Thanks for your words. Yes it is very gladdening to see the seeds turn to sprouts.

# Ms. Sudha:

Thanks so much for a very detailed answer. I shall follow your suggestions and see how things turn out. It is still very young.. so have to wait till it starts flowering. I am sure there is still a lot of time for that.

Regards,

5. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Cucumber grow like pumpkins on the ground.
    Post the fresh cucumbers soon.
    But keep the pot and the surrounding grounds wet all the time

6. aforalpha

aforalpha Junior IL'ite

#Nijasav

Thanks, I shall post the pics as soon as the first batch of cucumbers arrive.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this.