1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Dracanea Marginata

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Pallavi4me, May 22, 2012.

1. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have bought an Indoor Plant Dracanea Marginata last week. I understood that it is an Air cleaning Plant.

Here is the Picture of the Plant that is delivered.

View attachment 155843

View attachment 155844

Now, I need the help in knowing & understanding the growth of the Plant and about the care that needs to be taken.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Pallavi, I bought this plant for my SIL and did a little research on this when I bought this about 2 years ago.
    First of all, this can grow really tall...as tall as 12 to 15 feet. So, you should consider transplanting it in a bigger pot. You also need to support this plant with a good quality firm cane as this need support to grow straight up; else, you will not have a straight plant and it looks good only when it's straight. It thrives on 75 DF temperature. Keep an eye for bugs and check with the local nursery if you get any. Hope this helps.
    Most indoor plants come with enough fertilizer, so you won't need to apply any.
    The tip for watering should be on the label of the plant. Follow that for water. General rule is that, if the leaves are turning pale yellow, you are giving too much water; if they are turning crisp or close to brown, you are giving less water. So follow the label instructions for water and you should be fine.

3 people like this.
  3. Pallavi4me

Thank you Rakhi for much needed response.

I am planning to shift the plant into a bigger pot. Thanks for the suggestions on colour of leaves & on growth of the plant.

Will update here with the growth of the plant.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I gave the same plant as return gift to all the families during my DD's first birthday,
    Along with the plant,i also gave them a chit which contained the name of the Plants ,few dos/donts and the maintanance part.This is the information.

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]DRACEANA MARGINATA [/FONT]
    [FONT=Sylfaen, serif](indoor air cleaning plant)[/FONT]​

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Light: Tolerant to low light. It will however do better in bright light.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Soil: Check the soil for dryness. Do not allow the soil to dry out totally.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Water: Water enough so that the soil is kept moist at all times. It should not be soggy.The water that collects on the coaster too should be removed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Sylfaen, serif]WARNING : Keep away from Pets[/FONT]​

This warning part i read that the leaves could get chocked in the pet's throat,hence gave a warning...
    Hope its useful for you :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Pallavi4me

ITs so sweet of you Swaran for giving this as return gift. Thats really thoughtful deed.

And thank you for the do's & dont's.

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks pallavi
    yes i wanted to give a useful gift as return gift and hence went ahead with plants...normal plants,not many have the space to keep it,so decided to go with air cleaning indoor plants and hence gave this..
    glad you found my post useful :)

7. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

hey pallavi,
    I also have a dragon plant. I never knew it was air cleaning. And because I had potted in a smaller pot , it suffocated and then I moved it to a larger one .But still feel could have put it in a even larger pot.And never supported it with a cane .So it grew slanting.
    Once a week watering is fine...Too much watering will give yellow leaves , lesser watering gives brown leaves.feeling the soil will help u to know when to water.

Does anyone know how to propagate this plant?

8. Pallavi4me

Thank you so much skmeera for coming in and sharing your experience.

Yes, I'm checking the wet/dry ness in the soil and watering it. Need to get a good cane yet.

Will regularly update its growth here.

9. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

skmeera:

As far as I know, it can be propagated by cutting a stalk off with the top if you have multiple stalks. If you do cut a section of the stalk then take care to keep the top side up while burying a portion into the soil.

Sindhu

1 person likes this.