1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My Balcony Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by satchitananda, Apr 5, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Much as I hate the summer heat in India, I certainly love the colours and joy that the month of April brings with it. Needless to say the joy of seeing some of those colours in my personal balcony garden growing within the constraints of an urban apartment brings a sense of special satisfaction which I would love to share with you.

These are some of the plants which are edible and / or have medicinal properties.

1. Bonesetter plant (also known as Pirindai in Tamil or Hadjod - literally meaning putting bones together - in Hindi)

2. Curry leaves (kadipatta or karvapillai)

3. Tomatoes

4. Ajwain leaves

.....contd[/JUSTIFY]

Attached Files:

33 people like this.

2. satchitananda

These are some of the flowering and show plants in my balcony.

Attached Files:

22 people like this.
  3. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

Hi

Looks very nice and fresh!!!
    nothing like fresh herbs within reach. What is the use of bonesetter plant?
    I didnt know that curry leaves can be grown in a pot. Can you share how to do it? Even i would like to try it..

1 person likes this.
  4. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

wow red tomatoes and flowers look lovely!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Nargisshaik

Nargisshaik Bronze IL'ite

Fantastic plants

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Pinksugar, thanks so much. The bone setter plant can be used in various ways and has more uses than one. See http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bonesetter%20plant&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnatural-herbal-remedies.knoji.com%2Fbonesetter-medicinal-properties-amenorrhea-and-muscular-pain-remedy%2F&ei=O159T5z9FcG30QWTkYCrBQ&usg=AFQjCNEW4FcPGXvzrxhZRfQhsPu2LyeRIg and http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bonesetter%20plant&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthmad.com%2Fhealth%2Fbone-setter-cissius%2F&ei=O159T5z9FcG30QWTkYCrBQ&usg=AFQjCNFQH4oPQ5uVqylSttw_aeH00H-0qA.

The curry leaf plant can either be planted as seeds or as a sapling in a small pot. After many attempts, I finally managed to succeed in getting a sapling to grow. The mud is changed every year with a mix of cowdung and sand. This plant can be a bit tricky to grow in a pot.

The red berries are not tomatoes. They are the fruits of a show plant (asparagus). I don't think they are edible (at least not to my knowledge). I just thought they looked very pretty.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

Hi Satchitananda,
    Your plants are looking wonderful. After seeing various balcony garden pics in IL, I am planning to start a small balcony garden in my house.

Can you please suggest me any plant type to start with? I stay in chennai, expecting to see suggestions for plants that will grow well in chennai climate

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Hi Mrudhani,

What kind of plants you can grow really depends on how much of sunshine you get in your balcony. If it is an open terrace, you can grow virtually anything you like. If not, then it might be a bit difficult to grow flowering plants and curry leaves.

Generally it should be easy to grow decorative plants. They would require regular watering and an annual change of soil. If you have good sunshine you could plant roses, malli, hibuscus, kanakambaram etc. If you do not have too much trouble with squirrels, you could try planting corriander. Methi, pudina, ajwain (karpuravalli) grow quite luxuriantly. Although the pirindai took quite a while to start growing, once it started, there was no stopping it. If you have a large open terrace, you could try planting chow-chow (bangalore katrikai), parrikai or even pumpkins.

All the best.

1 person likes this.
  9. vibhavishwesh

vibhavishwesh Gold IL'ite

superb garden... very happy to see so many plants in balcony

1 person likes this.
  10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi....
    LOvely the greenery of leaves colourful flowers n fruits makes heaven on earth...... Thanks for sharing...

One tip: will u please include names of the plant on the photo itself so it will be easy for me to know the names..as i am ignorant of many plant names.....Thank you dear

1 person likes this.