1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My flower garden from Spring to Fall-2010

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rakhii, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Since I live in a cold country, I have a very small window to grow plants outdoors. I have attempted a few new plants this year. Please tell me how you like the flowers...I always make sure that I have a mix of plants in such a way that I cover spring, summer and also fall so that the garden is in full bloom right through the season. Please let me know how you like the flowers in my garden.

Early Spring:

I absolutely love Tulips! They are the first ones to pop up along with lavenders. Sometimes even before the last frost they pop out giving much needed refreshment from all the snow and ice on ground.
    1.jpg
    Then comes the daffodils. I have very few planted. perhaps this Fall I will plant more so that they are ready come spring in 2011.
    4.jpg
    As we progress in to slightly warmer weather, close to summer is when I have these beauties. here you see, Thick seeds and daisies amongst pinks and pansies.
    3.jpg
    When in summer, its not just the BBQ which gets attention! here are a few of Asiatic Lilies.
    5.jpg
    I do not know the name of the below but I call them umbrellas because thats how they look!
    6.jpg

continuations in next post....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    5 people like this.

2. Rakhii

As the heat slowly progresses towards mid 20 D C's, the majestic Calla lilies come up. Here is Calla lily; by far the most beautiful and the most expensive bulb in my garden standing at $15 a bulb. I bought 2 bulbs and only one survived. Its difficult to care for this fussy plant. Every fall I need to take the bulb out before the first frost, store them carefully in a dry place and replant next spring after the last frost. These are perennials but each bulb would yield only one flower.
    7.jpg
    day lilies are the most common lilies where I live. So obviously, I have a few at home. They bloom in mid summer.
    8.jpg
    And of course Zinnia is a must for summer...
    9.jpg
    The beautiful beautiful Oriental lilies. This is my husbands favorite for its color and fragrance. When they bloom, the entire garden would assume a soft fragrance.
    10.jpg

I also do have a small rose garner...Looks like I lost my pic. I will post it soon. This completes the summer garden.

As the temperature starts to fall again, the fall flowers start to bloom. See next post for them!

4 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Here is one of the pink Dahlia plants. When I planted this bulb, I was a bit apprehensive; will they grow at all? But sure they grew! Here is the result. I have so many of these flowers now that I can cut them down for a vase for every room in my home. These are perennials and have to be treated the same way like Calla lilies. The beauty of these flowers is that, they start to bloom well in summer but continue to bloom a the way through fall.
    14.jpg
    And now the white Dahlia's. The flowers are so big and heavy that the entire plant is almost falling off the ground! Aren't they stunning?
    13.jpg
    Black eyed Susans? They are fairly common and are perennials. they bring vibrant color around July-August-Sept yeah!
    12.jpg
    And finally, who would want to spend money outside for fresh cut flowers when the beautiful garden can give you all you need and more? This vase is sitting on my kitchen counter.
    11.jpg

6 people like this.
  4. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

excellent rakhii.feels fresh seeing the flowers.and finally the vase.nice

5. ramyaraja

ramyaraja Gold IL'ite

Wonderful garden and beautiful flowers Rakhii... :thumbsup

6. Rakhii

Thanks ladies, I am glad you all liked them. I am planning on starting terrariums for winter. Wish me luck! :thumbsup

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

First of all Rakhii let me wish you luck as you had requested with your new project...

What an amazing array of fresh flowers.....loved the simple details you had given for each of the flowers..makes it very interesting to learn something new and what we do not know...

I am sure you are the envy of all your neighbours...

Best wishes once again dear,,,

1 person likes this.
  8. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

feast to our eyes Rakhi. your looking after your flower garden like a mother looking after her children. varitey of flowers and your flower vase is decorated with that too. thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

Beautiful flower garden. How do you manage during snow time?

Thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

thanks ladies; I am glad you liked them :)

@Pandusk: Here is the deal. Below plants in my garden are perennials. So, they go dormant during winter and come back up the next year:

1. Tulips
    2. Daff's
    3. Thickseeds
    4. Daisies
    5. Asiatic lilies
    6. Umbrella's
    7. Day lilies
    8. Oriental lilies
    9. Black Eyed Susan
    10. Rose

Plants needing extensive care for best results:
    1. Calla lily. This bulb has to be dug out before first frost. Store the bulb in a dry place inside your home. replant them back after the last threat of frost.
    2. Dahlia's. same as above
    3. Jasmine. I have this in a pot and take the plant inside my home when the temperature goes below 5 D C. usually only after the temperature raises above 10 D C is when I take the pot outside again.

Annuals:
    1. Pinks
    2. Pansies
    3. Zinnia

And yes, all these plants thrive when you fertilize them during fall, and early spring and summer. So basically we need to fertilize them at least thrice so that the plant gets energy after being dormant for over 6 months where I live.

Edit: If anyone is interested in any particular plant; please let me know. I will then talk about how to care for that particular plant like cleaning up during fall, preparing the garden for the first sprouts etc.