Paruppu Thengai

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Ushakrishnan64, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    I had made Paruppu Thengai for the "Seer" for the Padmavathi Sreenivasa Kalyanam. My daughter asked me.."This PT contains neither Paruppu nor Thengai.. then why this name?" I honestly did not have an answer.
    Looking forward to your interesting explanation for this question.

Regards
    USHA

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Usha !

I claim complete ignorance ! I really do not know. A few of my friends who are generally in the know of such things are also not knowing the answer !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

chettiar set the trend....

Dear usha,
    It is my son in law giri....who told me this...In those days it was first the ritual of chettiars to send paruppu uppu and thengai as seer...so even now we see the way they tie the provisions..the make a cone of the news paper and then tie it up and keep it facing down with the cone shape above...so later the filling turned into metal with sweet fillings and imaginations led to the present presentation with colour paper wrapping and all...so it came to be known as paruppu thengai....while on this subject all ladies can get a set of them with the gold papers and colourfull glass works from one of the shop near kapaliswarar temple for just 100rs. they r very cute to decorate and u can also present this to people going abroad as it will be the centre of attraction from india....regards sunkan

4. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,
    Sorry. I saw your reply really late. Thank you for the nice reply. My daughter will be happy that we answered her quetion.
    Thank you Giri..
    Regards
    USHA

5. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

How to make Paruppu Thengai at home?
    Please guide :)

Love
    Pavithra

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My mother didnt have a regular shell, she uses the brithday cones you know the birthday hats that kids wear. just our way of doing here maybe not right. Next time I'm going to get her the good ones.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

it is not tedious for the people who know how to make traditional sweets so all things go there, manoharam,u know the one like smooth murukku dipped in jaggery, laddu,cashew in sugar, mysorepak, mohan cake is filled into this, sometime with jeera mittai that is sugar coated jeera to decorate...all you need is a metallic cone, and on lighter note if you have a big oven you could bake cake in it. it is a matter of shape whatever u fill it will come out in the mould then wrap it in decorative papers and gift it.. sunkan

8. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sunkan!

Regards
    Pavithra

9. Lilly07

Lilly07 Bronze IL'ite

Can anyone tell me a simplest wy to do paruppu thengai at home?
    Thanks in advance..

10. Padmasudha

Padmasudha Bronze IL'ite

Hey, the basic paruppu thengai does contain both! It is made of roasted kadalai (paruppu), jaggery and pieces of coconut (thengai). This was probably the early version, which then devolved into the more fancy versions later. Kadalai paruppu and jaggery are considered to be auspicious ingredients.