Baby Birth Related Functions for Tamilians

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many thanks for taking time to compile baby birth related functions. I am sure this will be useful to all new pattis and moms.

It is so very well written that it was a challenge to translate it and maintain the spirit and style of the post in Tamil. I am not sure if I have done justice, but shall post my English version so that it might benefit those who cannot read Tamil.

-Gayathri.

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Baby Birth Related Functions for Tamilians - English translation of the orignial post by Chitvish written in Tamil.

Informing Shobhanam:

Shobhanam is the act of informing the boy's family of the childbirth by the girl's family. Though the information can be passed on through mail or telephone, it is a pleasant formality to inform the boy's family in person. While visiting the boy's family, betel leaves, betel nut, fruits, sugar and sugar candy are to be taken. It is upto individual preference to take sweets. Usually 3 or 4 elderly person go in person. Also, it is better to inform the boy's family in advance of the arrival, so that they can be prepared with coffee and snack, as they need to reciprocate the honour.

Kaappu:

It is customary to do Kaappu on the 7th day after the child is born. Traditionally, the kaappu and jewellery that adorn the first baby are passed on to the next babies in the family. This is considered lucky and is called 'Aghi Vandhadhu'. It is the responsibility of the baby's aunt( father's sister - athai ) to get the kaappu. She needs to buy golden bangle, golden ring, silver kaappu, mupurikaappu( made with gold, silver and copper twisted together ). Any thing beyond this is upto individual convenience. Katti Paruppu and kaapparisi should also be made and brought.
    In a ural( mortar ), keep a Chombu( vessel ) with water and place neem leaf in that. Give neem leaves to small children and ask them to go around singing 'Aambilai Petha, pombalai petha, adupangaraiyil pillai petha' and doing kummi. An elderly woman should hold a measuring cup( padi ) and place some coins in that and shake it well. The coins are to be distributed to the kids that did kummi. Mix katti paruppu and kaapparisi with neem leaf and then give it to a boy child. Request him to chew and then spit it in the room entrance. Impersonate an ammi Kuzhavi( pestle ) as a baby. Bathe it, wipe, apply mai( kajal ), feed milk with paaladai/sangu and then place a folded saree on the ural and place the kuzhavi on top of it. An issueless woman is requested to do this. When it is done, elders bless the person to beget children at the earliest. In olden days, seclusion of the new born with its mother in a seperate room was practised. Due to this reason, the mother places kaappu on the baby's hands and legs. In order to make mai ( Kohl/Kajal ) apply pure castor oil in a ladle used to turn dosai and show the ladle on top of a burning lamp. When, it gets dark, add a drop of castor oil and make the mai. The mother applies the mai in the eyes and then places the neem leaf kaappu in the hands and legs of the baby and then places the other ornaments. Prepare harathi in a tray and add neem leaf, a small piece of charcoal, sand( earth ) from the entrance and take harathi for the mother and the newborn and then pour it out in the entrance. Honour should be reciprocated to the athai( newborn's paternal aunt ) who brought the kaappu depending on the ability of the girl's family. Along with thamboolam, it is customary to give katti paruppu and kaapparisi.

Punyakavachanam:

It is customary to perform punyakavachanam on the 11th day after the childbirth. The expenses for this are borne by the boy's side. The baby is given a bath and placed in a muram( a traditional plate like tool usually made of bamboo used for dehusking grains ). After this, the baby's mother can see the baby only after her bath. The mother is made to take oil bath. As soon as she finishes bath, a savory dish is given to her. This is called 'Thula Poosuvadhu'. Then, hand over the baby to the mother in her arms. Watching this is considered good( visesham ). The girl's family needs to buy new dresses for the newborn, the new mother and father. And it is customary to keep a pair of paruppu thengai along with coconut, fruit and betel leaf in the manai. It is also customary to make jewels for the baby. The expenses for the priest and food is taken care of by the boy's family. Also, the boy's family needs to do viraidhanam to all the guests by giving them a 25 paise coin placed in paddy. The Jaathakaranam and namakaranam for the baby are to be performed as per the individual family tradition. That evening, thottil( cradle ) is placed. For this, place a tray spread with paddy beneath the cradle. In it, write the baby's name. The baby's mother and others should repeat the name of the baby in the baby's ears three times. Line the cradle with a silk saree and then place either sweet payaru sundal or kothukadalai sundal as per family tradition in the head side of the baby. The sundals can either be tied in a cloth or kept in a small bowl and placed either on the cradle or beneath it in the head side. Invite women to sing and given vethalai-pakku( betel leaf and betel nut ). Then, take harathi.

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Gayathri,

The English translation is perfect and cool!. :clap Thanks for doing this.

Regards
    Vidya

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    You have done an excellent job - thanks a ton !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. birraj

birraj Senior IL'ite

Dear Mom,
    Again very good information from you. Even though I can not use this infomation at present in my life but I can use it for my friend who delivered her baby last week. She must be happy for that. I have followed your direction in her Valikappu and everyone was veyr much happy. I am so happy that I can learn this function how authentically we perform. I Just want you to know that I am following your thread closely.

Love
    Birundha

6. Chitvish

Dear Birundha,
    I know you well enough, B - you do not owe me any explanation !
    I am glad many find some use or other, if not for themselves, in these "function" threads.
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C and Vidya

Many thanks for your lavishly kind words. Using Vidya's own words, this is just an 'anil sevai' addendum to the magnificent work of Chitvish.

Thanks again,
    Gayathri.

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

:bowdown:bowdown Wow, felt like I attended all these functions in a single read !!!

Very great work Chitra Ma'am!!!!

God Bless!

9. Chitvish

Dear Nand,
    I am so glad you enjoyed reading this post.
    All said & done, our traditional practice has its own beauty !
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. srimathi

srimathi New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ma'am
    :thumbsupHats off to you for writing such good articles especially for ladies like me who does not have any elders to tell you the significance of such functions.I would definitely try to keep up such functions for my daughter and daughter in law.Please keep posting such articles its inspirational.

Srimathi