1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is exposing necessary for fashion

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by lakmesirigiri, Jul 31, 2015.

1. lakmesirigiri

lakmesirigiri Senior IL'ite

I belong to a middle class family and brought up with traditional values . So what I post may be very awkward to some people but I personally noticed that a woman is seen as a woman no matter she belongs to a rich family or other classes of society. May be people don't say anything in front of them but men surely gossip behind her if she is found exposing clothes .

Now a days I have seen women wearing sarees think it's a fashion to wear deep necked blouses and blindly flowing the trend they forget when they wear that and go out with a such deep and broad neck the back looks almost naked. It doesn't matter they are fair or dark but if they have broad shoulders and heavy figure it is sure to attract the attention of people to her back. And may be some comment loudly while other look and keep quiet .

This is not only with the blouse but with the netted sarees and blouses. Ladies especially middle-aged I mean in their forties wearing netted sarees forget that it shows their bulging stomach and heavy hips if they are not in proper shape. Men surely feels this aunty is exposing.

Women wearing kurtis , sometime the cut is from above the waist and bit of her waist is visible. Most of them use leggings under the kurtis the shape of their legs is very noticeable if they have slim legs it's fine but ladies with bulging this and heavy hips that again seems to be exposing.

I think there no end to this if I keep writing about each dress. Some dress and models May look good on models in cinemas and magazines and people don't mind that when they see it on screen but if the same is done on streets it sometimes looks odd.

What I personally feel is exposing is not fashion, wearing something which suits your personality and wearing it in a decent way according to the occasion is fashion .

3 people like this.

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Am totally with you on it. Am from a more traditional background too, and could never even go sleeveless, as I feel very conscious. I need atleast a short sleeve. This is after living abroad for almost 10 years, and working as an IT professional from 2001.

Height was when I went to stitch blouses in Chennai. The tailor refused to give a dip less than 6 inches in my back (I wanted maximum 3 inches). They insisted their brand image would be lost if they give below-average style blouses. I was like "what the he** is wrong with the world?"

3. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you and nothing more to add @lakmesirigiri

1 person likes this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

You can be stylish, and at the same time, do it very decently without having to resort to expose skin show. Win-win, and no desperate skin show involved.

1 person likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

1) wearing what suits your personality

2) wearing clothes which suit your body type.there r too many fashionable clothes and one can satiate their thirst for fashion by wearing clothes which makes them feel good and not self conscious.

3) this is an ironical point.age is not a factor to dress As you please.however, as we grow older one should dress little more respectful,can still be fashionable and gorgeous.eg:instead of mini skirts one can wear knee length skirts.after all,we do judge a book by its cover.

sorry if I hurt anyone.just my thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Actually the answer to your question is in your own post :).

In India I have seen that there is no concept of fashion as we understand it here. They are all preoccupied by the 'latest'. All the young girls, ladies and aunties etc have a craze for and always in a big hurry to purchase and wear the 'latest design', 'latest fashion' or 'in-thing'. It is just a commodity in their mind I feel. They HAVE to get one item like that stitched if it is clothes (blouse design, material, type of sari) and made or purchased if it is jewelry ASAP. Then they can wear it and show off to everyone that they too have the 'latest'. Nothing in this whole process has anything to do with their body shape or face type or whether that colour and design suits them.

Notice next time that even the department store clerks, clothes sellers or jewelry store clerks will all only tell you 'it is latest design madam' not whether it is good or suits you. :)

3 people like this.
  7. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Even I was brought up like this....to be modest always....follow fashions...be
    elegant and never vulgar or dress in a way to distract or draw negative attention to self. Glad you brought up this topic.

1 person likes this.
  8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Simple, classic, tasteful clothes are more fashionable than all these skin revealing ones. Just as important is wearing clothes that one is comfortable in and appropriate to the situation.

2 people like this.
  9. shilpakumari

shilpakumari New IL'ite

10. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

to each its own..

1 person likes this.