1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The nighty cultures

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by lakmesirigiri, Jul 17, 2015.

1. lakmesirigiri

lakmesirigiri Senior IL'ite

I think I don't have to introduce about this topic because it is very common in today's lifestyle. It is very prevalent among the middle class. I too agree that it's very comfortable to wear a nighty rather than a saree and it's somewhat economical to do that but the problem is theyes come out on the streets with that. It's not only with the teenage girls but also with the middle-aged women who go to the grocer, green grocer, to nearby school to drop their children or get them back home from school.

Here at our place I seed the women putting dupatta or towels on the nighy,s and moving on the streets, I don't understand a simple reason why don't the have a common sense that the people around us watch what we are wearing or how we behave especially men.

What made me think of this issue seriously was this . There is a school just beside day house. I regularly see women come to drop their children. One day a lady wanted to pay the fee of her kids and I heard her shouting at the security guard that today is the last date to pay the fees so allow her inside the gate. So I stood there to know what happened exactly . The watchman said the ladies with nightie are not allowed inside, please change and come.
    I don't know how the lady felt but I felt very shy listening to it because after the lady left he murmured loudly that the whole locality seems to be their bedroom , they come wearing nighties.
    even in the TV show a guru was requesting please don't wear nighties while you go to temples .
    I am afraid aferocious few days may be nighties will become a part of our culture.

2 people like this.

2. Suprajah

Suprajah Senior IL'ite

@lakmesirigiri me too a nightie hater. Nighty must be named to daytie...I see ladies wearing it most of the time instead of wearing it at night only.

Last week one day, I went to get veggies around 12 PM and see a lady with nighty buying vegetables yucks yucks :drowning

3. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Tasteless buffoons. But whatever. There are bigger problems to worry about, let them make a buffoon of themselves, not a big deal.

1 person likes this.
  4. position

position New IL'ite

From point of view of men,many men thinks women who comes in nighties on streets is a bindass type,which i have observed.Actually,in India people are too conscious about dress code,particularly men.But that man does not goes properly for the interview... :)

5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

It does not matter what men and other people think about anyone wearing nighties.

Nightdresses are best suited for the bedroom. I would not even step out of my room in my nightie if I was living in a joint family or had guests over.
    I don't step out of my house to even peep into the corridor if I am wearing my night gown.

People wearing them to shops, vegetable markets etc would make people around them awkard if not themselves.

There is a certain dress code meant for every place and we must abide by it.

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I am planning to study the nightie-culture during my next trip. (How does a nightie differ from a dress, where do you have the towel, how common is it etc)

2 people like this.
  7. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Lol @crayoness. Do you want to study that nighty culture instead of other good stuff in India? I feel very embrassing to see any woman is wearing nighty at public with a towel or duppatta on top of it.

8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Why do you want to spend so much time studying about India :)

9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Something fun to do during my boring business trips :D

10. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

lol this questions answer even i m finding since years....
    i dont understand why and why they wear and roam. but somewhere I feel that when we wear that we cannot make much difference of our innerwear existence thinkingsmiley

it dont make much difference and feels comfortable too..gigglingsmiley

whatever there should be law imposed to it. i also feel embarrassing seeing them this way and feels really bad. i myself dont step out wearing gown/nighty.
    again it is their life and their choice. but when we live social life we have to think about others too..right???