1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Big girl Calling me Aunty!!!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by IamLucky, Feb 20, 2015.

1. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    I am sending my DD to a daycare near my office. Its run by an elderly lady and her daughter who has completed Bsc before a year.She must be 21 yrs old.
    I am 27 yrs old. But whenever she speaks with me she addresses me aunty. My baby is also 1yr old only.I feel very awkward when she calls me like that.
    Seriously I wont look like aunty also:drowning.me and my hubby are the youngest couple among our friends and office team.
    How could i avoid her calling me like that. Its reducing my self confidence.thinkingsmiley

P.S: She is very fat and looks bigger than me.:help

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Take a grown up kid with you....a neighbors child for ice cream may be and ask this grown up child to call her aunty.That will set her right.

anika987, Newbie87, Sparkle and 17 others like this.
  3. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    u can call her 'didi' or elder sister

6 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@iamlucky, recently my daughter who is in her 2nd year of college was called aunty by a small kid say 3 year old. my dd went to her and told her i am studying in a higher class than your playschool so call me sister.

And let her be big, let her be fat but objecting on those grounds looks bad to me..you have an issue with her calling your aunty, tell her, i am just a few years elder to you and i would be happy if you can call me by my name..

But your confidence should not take a hit because of one person calling you aunty.

5. GeetLenin

GeetLenin New IL'ite

Tell her directly !!!
    If you feel low bcoz of her calling u as aunty then y u r resisting?? be bold n tel her directly... :) :)

1 person likes this.
  6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Tell her directly to call you by name. Few people really don't know how to address people. Why think so much over it?

2 people like this.
  7. RedFlower

RedFlower Silver IL'ite

The small gals nearby our house used to call me sister and my husband as Uncle and he gets :oops:

These are the problems with life transformations and also with the mind set of the person calling you. She might have the mindset of calling everyone with a child as aunty

2 people like this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think in India if you have a child, people put you in the uncle-aunty category. It's probably got little to do with your appearance. If you don't like it, be forthright and tell her to address you as you want to be addressed -- Mrs XYZ, XYZ's Mom, Didi etc.

Agree with @Shanvy though. This is one of those things you should be able to brush off without a second thought. Why make it a self-esteem issue?

7 people like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

There should be a law against calling people aunty ,uncle unless they are really your aunty and uncle...:spin

You get married...you become everyone's aunty.:rant
    You have a child...and become aunty to anyone who hasn't yet had a child...shakehead

Yeh aunty aunty kya hai!!!!!
    Op....hugs to you.Being called aunty when you are so young can be a real downer.Any one older than your kids calling you aunty can really spoil your day.

I have written this earlier on this forum. I am writing this to cheer you up.
    I have a teenaged daughters ....so am used to being an aunty.
    But when my neighbor in her late twenties /early thirties called me aunty...I asked my teenaged daughters to call her aunty. Next day...she started calling me didi...sometimes she slips up and calls me aunty...then quickly corrects herselfgigglingsmiley

Of course...some day my daughters will come to complain that someone called them aunty.....that is another story.That is why I say...lets ban this word!!!

12 people like this.
  10. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

@Shanvy
    Mam i didnt mean about her physical appearance. But it looks odd when someone calls aunty who looks more or less elder to us(atleast of same age).
    I wont consider the outer apperance at any cost. Since we are in virtual relationship, i thought of making it clear about how i feel. Thats all.
    Even i have my own brother who is younger than her.
    I m expecting a diplomatic way of conveying the message. May be she used to call all the mothers coming there.
    I think thats not a healthy behaviour.