1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with the upstairs neighbor

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ssubhasr, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Am facing issue with my upstairs neighbor(they are also South Indians). Their kid is very small. But the problem is with her sister's kid who stays in their apartment all the time except night time. But throughout the day (sometimes) and evening and sometimes till 10:30 to 11 in the night, its very horrible to stay downstairs with the voice - She keeps jumping, running etc. We complained to the rental office. Since we did complaint couple of times, the rental office is now asking us to call 911 - non emergency. That guy is very rough and tough and am kind of nervous to call 911 as sometimes my parents might be alone in home. Is there any other way to teach them a lesson ? Not even single time they apologies to us for their kid's act. That makes me more pissed off....

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Seriously?You want to call 911 for little kids making noise?What do you want them to do?Tie up the kids?Healthy active Kids run and jump .....
    You live in a multi-storey apartment.It comes with such problems.

9 people like this.
  3. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @ssubhasr
    You teach them a lesson by making very loud noise than the kid and if they ask you,tell them to call the police
    You can tell the owner of the house that he/she must do something about the noise the kids make or else you will leave the house
    Regards,
    Sahana

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Before complaining have you tried approaching their house. Take a piece of cake or something nice, go upstairs and have a friendly chat. Tell your parents are elderly and their sleep/kids sleep is disturbed by the noise kids make.

Or otherwise there must be some other neighbours also disturbed by the kids noise, try going together and talk to kid's mother.

8 people like this.
  5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes feel there is no point in telling people u have to learn to live with it,as I had a noisy upstairs neighbor years back when I was in Chennai whose grand daughters used to dance Bharat Natyam only after 9 in the night!I tried telling them but in vain.So it is best to leave it at that.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

do this if you want to get evicted. Kids don't get into trouble but if as adults you do this, it's inviting trouble.

@ssubhasr - Unfortunately the apartment office or the cops cannot do anything for noisy kids. I'm sure the better way is for you to go and request. Kids cannot be kept still at all times but request and see if they can keep the noise levels down during the nights after 8:30 PM. Tell them that's when your child sleeps and it's difficult with all the noise. The cops will just tell you this is apartment living. Unless someone is playing loud music or adults are creating a ruckus, they usually can't take any action.

sindmani, RedRuby and butterflyice like this.
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Well you could use an American method to try and drive them out: get some dead animal that was hit on the highway and leave it anonymously on their doorstep.

1 person likes this.
  8. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

@tashidelek, are u serious? i didnt expect this from u. :notthatway:

9. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

I believe my neighbour should also realize that they are in an apartment and making trouble to the downstairs neighbour....Since they are in the uppermost floor, unfortunately they cannot feel the pain of downstairs neighbor. Healthy kids doesn't mean that they should always run and jump and the neighbors should suffer !!! We are in first floor and whenever my daughter do the dance practice, I go to my downstairs neighbor and tell them to bear the voice for the next 40-50mins (max). But my upstairs neighbor don't even have the courtesy to tell that. Intact its not their kid who is making noise (she is just 1.5yrs old). Its her elder sister's daughter (4yrs old) who is making. They live in a different apartment in the same building. But stay in my upstairs neighbor's house all the time (almost till 10:30pm to 11:30pm). Thats is not acceptable. We did our part by telling them in person before complaining to the rental office. Intact when their parents came, they used to talk with my parents and we all attend the kid's 1st year birthday party etc...(Her sister and her kid were in India when their parents were here) But i believe everything has got a saturation point. We have reached the saturation now....

10. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Yes. We tried that as well. we started poking their floor by hitting our ceiling. But when we did that 2nd second time itself, that guy came down and argued with my husband arrogantly. Intact tried to enter our house formally !!! And his wife's sister was asking as to leave the apartment if we cannot tolerate...she doesn't have the rights to tell us that....infact she is not staying above us...

1 person likes this.