1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

NRI Friend called India Dirty Country !!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Udasgirl, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi people

We live abroad since almost 7 years now (Developed country). We have family friends here who are like relatives for us (WE call them uncle and aunty). They were really good to us in all these years and even they hosted baby shower during my pregnancy. Actually Uncle is my X boss as well (I left his company last year after my son was born and joined somewhere else)... All these years even though our relations were good there were few things like they spread some rumours about it , said things behind our backs, aunty used me to vent all her problems and constantly telling crap things about other friends (actually they wanted us to hang around them only thats why they said bad things about many other common friends and our community etc etc). They are known for this behavior and everyone in community also knows this...Since these things were not really severe and they were quite close to us so we let go negative points and continued relations
    Since last year when I resigned from Uncle's company (he is 50% owner of that comapny), they started maintaining distance and did bear minimum (they were ok when we met at third parties etc but they reduced frequency of calling us etc..) I understand all this may be they did not like me leaving the company etc (But I had to because of genuin reasons)..
    NOW The problem, We went to thier place dis w/e and we were talking generally suddenly Uncle asked us ' when are u buying house here ?' we said we are not planning to buy house here because we dont want to live here for long term.. we said we are kind of not fitting into western lifestyle.. he started arguing that how western lifestyle and culture is good and how bad it is in india... He said some bad things like - Oh you guys are planning to go back India is it ?? AAhhhh I cant leave in india now . A big NOOO India is a dirty country and all' We were shocked as he is secretary of indian community here.. my hubby said to him this is double standards how can you say such things about ur own country ? etc and there was a bit of argument between my hubby and uncle... finally it did not turn into fight (thank god) but it has left sour taste in everyone's mouth for sure..... Do you things my husband should have kept mum and not argued considering they were elders , helped us in past etc or to put it bluntly - How much **** you should take from friends who have done somethings for you/helped you in past ??

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

That was his opinion about his former country. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It seems like he has settled for good in the new country. There are interesting dynamics in the expat/immigrant communities and it happens everywhere. The decision to stay or go back is hard and people tend to come with arguments that support their own decision. I have met expats/immigrants who talk very warmly about their former country when they discuss it with "outsiders" (ie people not from that former country) and bring upp all the negatives when talking with his "own" people. It has to do that when you are living abroad you have these mixed feelings, you miss your former country but on the other hand you also like your new country. You are fed up with the negative aspects in the new country but also remember the bad things with your former country.

(I actually once did a test with people from Finland that had immigrated to Sweden. Used to go by ferry very often between these countries. I am bilingual so I could pretend that I was from Sweden or Finland. When discussed with someone they tended to either praise or bad mouth Finland depending on if they thought I am swedish or finnish :D. )

2 people like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I wouldnt take it seriously. It was his opinion after all...

My mother lived in her native town for many years and then moved to the city where we live currently. We visit to her native city every now and then, but we seldom stay there over night. Reason being, that city being too small with less facilities, we often feel sick and uncomfortable to stay there. We feel it is dirty, that we should not invest in building a house or land in that city any further. However, we all have certain attachment towards that city, we love it and we want to be called as natives of that city. However, for practical reasons, we tried avoid living there.

Same should apply to the uncle in your case. Since he is used to this western culture or life style India could be a tough place for him right now. It does not mean he does not love India or degrading his own country purposely. It means, he is talking practical and truth and he has the right to opine. You just need to respect it, and accept that people do tell the truth and it is not necessary to sugar coat all the time.

Some people prefer to live out of India as they believe India is not safe. Some think India is not hygienic, some think India does not have opportunities to grow. Every NRI has a reason to live in abroad. That reason is the bitter truth that they weighed their present country somewhere better than India for some reasons. Not everyone openly accepts it.

3 people like this.
  4. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

A Black dot on White board

Bad eyes will see only the black
    good eyes always fall on white area.

leave it let him walk on his own path you walk in a good path you have good breath.

5. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Many expats try to "express their reasons" for staying back outside, as many of them still "miss" "home" and can not go back. as the place no longer "feels" like home. They have grown apart so much, that their ties has weakened.

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

If something is wrong, we should admit it. Yes, India is dirty. People who lived elsewhere catch cold, respiratory illness when they land in India. Some may get malaria or other disease due to mosquitoes. I know people who went for good to India had to return back as they kids were getting sick frequently. The issue is that most of this dirt is avoidable. People throw garbage everywhere. Open defecation and urination is common. People choose to not wear complete clothes. Kids are mostly left without clothes. No wonder that the PM addressed these issues in his address to the nation on 15th August.

Also the immune system changes for people who live abroad for a long time. So they feel sick frequently compared to people living there. So, it is perfectly fine to getting turned away by such exposure.

However, it does not mean that one does not take pride in India. The festivals, the social interaction with people, mixing of different cultures, dresses, varieties of food, beautiful places to visit etc are unparalleled. These things can't be recreated anywhere else even though NRIs try to recreate them.

In such situation it is always better to say that every place has pros and cons and may be focus on pros of living in India (something like above).

3 people like this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Its just his opinion ! I dont think you should take it very seriously ! To each his own !

2 people like this.
  8. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Udasgirl,

If your uncle and aunty prove to be a liability then carefully think how you both can convert this liability into asset for you. Here lies your smartness.

Remember that there is a saying," you can win an argument and yet lose a friend".. Apply this rule and never lose a friend for issues which will not change your life! (Like whether it will rain tomorrow or not or whether India is dirty or not or whether red or blue colour is good to wear).

Unfortunately, most of the people who move on to a developed country from a developing country, never come back to the country of origin, unless circumstances force them to. Every country and culture has got its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Surely, developed countries offer a better lifestyle with affordability. Due to historical reasons, exploitation by the developed countries and scarcity of resources, there are problems related to poverty and population .And NRIs represent the renaissance and recognition of the great Indian intelligence by the West!

This however should not make one to look down upon his own country of origin. Let us look into the great traditions and feel proud of the country. There is no area of knowledge that India has not been the pioneer of humanity.

9. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Actually Uncle said many more things other than calling india dirty and also the tone he said India is dirty was really pathetic.....also he started teaching us and directing us on how we should take our life and either stay in foreign country forever and else leave for india immidiately (we never asked his advise but he started giving it unnecessary).. so all these made us bit upset (specially mu hubby) so my question was actually how much non sense we should take from a friend if they have done good things for us in past (note that we have also reciprocated things they did for us so it was both ways good relation) however at same time they in a way exploited us also (spread rumours abt us, vented us and almost forced us not to have friendship with others in community, said wrong things abt our community and finally they are good with everyone but tried to spoil our relations unnecessary)....

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The obnoxious or loudmouth person will be there in any group or gathering. Not rocket science to figure out how to handle them. Google a few ideas. When he pauses to take a breath or drink of water or refill the dessert bowl, gently ask if he has any suggestion for making cleaner, or ask him to predict whether Modi's Swachh Bharat Abhiyan will be successful.

Such people often like to be complimented on their house, party, and life's achievements. So, ask them about those topics.

Isn't this fairly common? The older ones thinking they know all and offering unsolicited advice? Happens in India, outside India and pretty much in any group that has people from multiple generations.

Again, this is fairly common. Chances are you are not the only couple they've offended at times. Maintain some dignity, do not gossip, if people ask give a neutral reply.

3 people like this.