1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my girlfriend is in an abusive marriage

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by markt64, Dec 23, 2014.

1. markt64

markt64 New IL'ite

my girlfriend is in an abusive marriage and he has threatened to hit or kill her. he has had an affair before and this broke her heart, however she has now come to me in god. He has hit her before more than once. My girlfriend is hindi I am white. I understand faith and have faith in god but understand that hindi religion will mean my girlfriends family may disown her, this she knows and this hurts. Advice please, there are her young children as well.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

This is upto her to decide what and to what extent she wants to go. She wants to stand against this abuse, or talk it out with him or involve family or police. These are so sensitive matters.

And when kids are involved, it becomes very much complicated. Girls think a lot and fear a lot from consequences before taking any step.

My best wishes with her.

Today I heard a case newly married girl being physically abused by husband and in-laws in US, is left to her parents in India. Now they are filing case against him.

2 people like this.
  3. markt64

markt64 New IL'ite

Ya, how can she separate from him and still maintain NO shame for all parties?

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Shame has nothing to do wih religion; it only depends on the social set up she is from. The only thing she can do is to get extensive therapy to understand that she is not to be ashamed of dumping an abusive marriage.

By the way, I'm surprised you say she is your girlfriend while she is still married.... If she has left him, great. Just the therapy will do. And if her family abuses her for not putting up with her husband's abuse. She needs distance from them too,

3 people like this.
  5. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Bottom line is no one can help your girl friend unless she helps herself. She has to take this tough decision from her heart.

1 person likes this.