1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should my friend go or not

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Yahooo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Yahooo

Yahooo Silver IL'ite

I have a friend who is very close to me. She wants to go to India next week to celebrate Diwali with her family but the problem here is that she has a fear for flying. Though she has travelled a lot it has all been with a lot of fear... Before each travel(flight)she thinks something is going to happen and she is going to die. Now she has a small baby and this time the fear has become too much that she started crying so badly everyday thinking about it And ended up at the psychiatrist. What do u all suggest. Should she travel or not? Do u think this is normal since she has this fear always. I am worried because every time though she fears she would be excited about her vacations but this time she is crying. She wants to be with her family at the same time she fears too much. She is suffering Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD) too and somebody has told her that a person with OCD keeps getting all kinds of negative thoughts all the time and if they keep thinkng about it, it will come true. My friend is really upset about all this. Can u please help. Please suggest what she has to do.

2. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

hello Yahoooo.I am sorry to hear about your friend's OCD .

Tell her she has to gather courage for her baby and that she should look into more positive stuff in life. There are many teenagers who are traveling alone so no fear what so ever. In her opinion if she thinks she is going to die then tell her she can't escape sitting at home !

Ask her will she be okay if her baby turns out to be so timid if not get OCD?
    She is a mother now and she has the courage inside her to get rid of her OCD.

In my opinion , she will be fine , God is always with her so why worry.

Tell her to have , hanuman photo if she is hindu in her purse always and always feel that He is with her.

It will be hard for you to talk with this stern voice as I did , but sometimes this is needed to shake a person out of the dark cage they are in so show her this comment if you wish so.

sindmani likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Let your friend cancel this trip if she is falling to pieces. She should get proper therapy right now. she can travel on e she is better. No point in her going now with the biggest responsibility of her life - her child - and feeling as though she can't cope. Defending the trip while actively getting therapy is the best.

sindmani, KashmirFlower and DKI like this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Even I have this fear ..trust me whenever I board on flight I get feeling something will happen (even once flight was shaking due to bad weather and I held my seat so tightly like if if something happens I'll be safe ). This is not only flight , even for signle minor things..coupe of examples are if I see some one calling from India in odd hours (like our night or when I know my family never calls) or if I call my family and no once is picking phone or my father or FIL or brother or DH is late than usual time..there is many more example when my mind get full of negative thoughts..but no one knows these other than me or DH (actually I never expressed with any one). So when I am with person other than DH or alone, I say to my heart nothing will happen. And if it is in my destiny then no one can stop from happening. I'll suggest you same to your friend..let her travel (I travelled 2 time with my DD and trust me I had less fear that time as compare to when I am alone or travelling with DH) ..just tell her to repeat in mind nothing will happen

1 person likes this.
  5. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Hi,

The feeling ur friend has is more common for all.. Ask her to face it and get herself strong in this.. Rest all is upto the GOD...

sindmani likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

If she can not cope, let her take a break and travel next time when she can. Meanwhile she can take the therapy so by next time she is healed

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

She needs help. She needs professional help. She should not go without getting help.

sindmani likes this.
  8. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

If she is unable to cope with the fear best not to go. OCD is not any kind of mental weakness, rather it occurs due to some chemical imbalance in the brain. It can get worse in stressful situations. Best to postpone the visit for a while till she feels calm.

sindmani likes this.