1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We have nothing in common !!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by hrastro, Feb 19, 2013.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

We have nothing in common !!! When I got married to my DH, his friends and their wives gave me a place in their lives !!! But I had nothing in common with the friends wives !!!

I did not have any idea about cooking.
    Or clothes - never bothered about them - except they should be easy to wash in the machine -
    Gold Jewellery - why should I buy gold jewellery, talk about Gold ETFs !!!
    Movies - I only know 90s hindi movies - just know some telugu yesteryears heroes - that too, I sometimes recognise, sometimes I dont!!!

What do I talk with these girls with whom I have absolutely nothing in common.

Me I studied all over India, am an engineer, MBA with foreign work experience and got married at 27, they started cooking at age 12 and got married at 22 !!!

I used to feel more comfortable talking to the guys regarding office, gadgets, books, finance and corporate stuff.... but I used to make an effort with the girls and they too slowly started to understand me.

Most importantly we had an open mind to accept each other.

I used to give wonderful compliments on their cooking and learned some recipes, they implemented my own ideas reg health and changed their cooking style...
    They used to ask me about the latest gadgets in the market, advice about finances, what to give as gifts for friends (other than clothes), places to visit...

Slowly we started getting comfortable with each other.

we went on several trips together. we brought up our kids together and slowly we built an understanding.
    They help me with choosing the design for a blouse, I help their kids with studies,
    I leave my kid at their place when I'm out of town, they leave their kid at my place when they need to leave out of town.
    I offer to give them a lift when they need to go somewhere, they pick us up at other times,
    I make pasta and pizza and cakes and cookies for their kids, they make pickles and pachadis for my DH...
    I get them various savoury items from my travels, they get sweets for me !

Even after 10 years, they still tell me new stuff about Andhra norms and traditions because I have not been brought up in Andhra although I speak the language expertly!!

I still sit and talk to the guys sometimes, we have heated discussions about everything, the guys check up on me if my DH is out of town but I am more comfortable with the wives now :)

In the last 10 years, we have gone through ups and downs, shared successes and tragedies and troubles and memories and lots and lots of laughs and giggles!! Although some of them now live in different cities, we still share a bond that goes beyond just DH's friends' wives!!!

Yes we have nothing in common except the love and respect that we have for each other !!! And total acceptance of each others differences and attitudes !!!

Do YOU have such friends ??? Please share !!!

2. Rimjhim1486

Rimjhim1486 Bronze IL'ite

Excellent - Excellent quote & it is common for most of us. you have fanatically described your thoughts here.

3. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

True.Friends need not have everything in common.

4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

True friends are rare to come by now!
    Many just use and then sideline you like they have never known you before!
    Anything in life is mutual, if you have made an effort to keep in touch so have they! Lovely read!

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx for all the likes :) but do share your friends stories too !!!

6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Husband out of town, my stomach sick for the past 2 days - not a single bite has gone in !!!

Friends paid school fees for my son, friends ensured that I have some medicines and home made kanjis for stomach upset, friends ensured that I take care of security at home, friends ensured that I call them if son misses school bus.

What would we do without such friends :)

4 people like this.
  7. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

great and nice to know that ur blessed with many good friends ...............

1 person likes this.
  8. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

i was one of these friends but I don't have such friends. So, no story.

But, very happy for you...a blessing indeed.

1 person likes this.