1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I handled a mocking friend...

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by mss10, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mss10

mss10 Senior IL'ite

Hi folks,
    I wanted to share my experience about how I handled a mocking friend....

There is this friend of mine who was always mocking at me. Once our friends group met at a cultural function. Most of them who had come for the function had dressed up traditionally with all traditional jewelry. I too wore a long necklace since we hardly have opportunity to wear this kind of stuff. My friends were teasing me that I am the only one in the group who is decked in jewelry. I laughed back and said yeah I wanted to wear this so I am wearing. This one is very special because my hubby bought it for me. But this particular friend of mine kept on insisting that no one else is wearing except me and I am making a comedy by wearing so. But I kept on replying that I really wanted to wear it so I wore. She said even if someone gives her for free she will never wear such big jewelry. Again I laughed at her and replied I liked to wear this so I am wearing. This went on for a while. I just brushed this but decided that I would wear what I want to inspite of this comments.

After few weeks we met in another party and I was wearing some pearl jewelry. She again started with my jewelry. I replied to her that I wanted to wear this so I am wearing. Then she kept on criticizing whatever I said. Like if I said something serious she would say something silly trying to make others laugh at me. This went on for a while and I just tried to be normal. I usually say funny things but not like pointing a person in particular making fun of them. This would be like everyone else except that person would be laughing. I made sure that I never got affected. Then we all dispersed.

The next day I just called her. I started as a usual conversation and told her that I wanted to talk to her and if it is ok to talk then. She said yes. Here is our conversation below...

Me: Yesterday the party went very well. I was very happy to see you and all our friends after so long. But just that I was wondering if I had hurt you by any means may be unknowingly did I say something which would have hurt you.

She said: Of course not... Nothing that I know...

Me: Oh is it? Thank God.... The reason I am asking you is that during our chit chat somehow I felt that you were picking at me very often. Whatever I said I felt you were making it as a big joke so that everyone laughs at me. May be nowadays I am kind of stressed out a bit and get angry very often. Maybe that is why I felt that way. I know you that you have been a very good friend of mine so far. But I was hurt by the way you were making fun of me in front of others. The other day too I could not understand what was so funny about me wearing what I wanted to wear. I was in fact wondering why you are making such a big deal out of it.

She said: Oh you know I was just joking in the lighter side. I was not knowing that you are that much hurt.

I replied: I agree with you. I know that you are not aware about how I felt. That is why I called you to let you know. I usually joke around and have fun with my friends but I make sure that it was not pointing to anyone in particular. Sometimes out of too much of stress the person may burst out at you which will spoil the relationship as a whole. I did not want that to happen because u r not doing it knowingly. Thats why I just called and talked to you about this. Anyway let us forget the misunderstanding.

Then I continued the conversation for a while as usual talking about other stuff and hung up.

By the end of it, I felt...
    1. Good that our relationship survived.
    2. Good about making the person know that I will not allow this kind of mocking in future.
    3. If she continues the same, I can avoid her in future without any regrets.

17 people like this.

2. AJ2k13

AJ2k13 Senior IL'ite

Wow, that was really a good way to handle the situation. I also commend your patience. I work on strictly two strikes and you're out basis. No need to have negative people around. Well done to you.

1 person likes this.
  3. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear mss,

Nice approach.....

Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  4. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:kudos to your patience mss10

even i had a friend who mocks about everything and anything be it our parents,kids, the way we dress, the way we cook, and i really dont know what runs in her brain she sometimes goes so wild when we visit their place-- some day i should try this strategy. hope it works

and thanks for sharing the way you dealt with her i think you did a wonderful job

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I opened thread thinking you might have done a Harper Lee on your mockingfriend, :) but not so... Nice to read your simple strategy, in particular, the 3 points at the end.

1 person likes this.
  6. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Nice strategy. Glad it worked out for you.

7. mss10

mss10 Senior IL'ite

Usually it works out in most cases... If it does not, you may just do the 3rd point... Nothing to lose except an insensitive person... :)

8. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

lol. loved ur reply rihana. OP, wish I had your presence of mind to handle many situations.
    Usually I beat myself up thinking I was nice but why am I not being treated that way Q

9. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

I really wish it was this simple, infact i opened IL to get suggestions for a similar situation,
    Here's my situation ...
    I have 2 friends from my school and 3 more from my college, all are married with kids numbering 1 or 2, while all of us got married around the same time maybe a yr or two with a difference, i hv not been blessed with a kid as yet, despite 2 failed ivfs and multiple failed iui's none of my friends are aware of it as such, i hv some financial commitments due to which am a working woman, 4 of my friends are housewives and one of them is on leave without pay post her maternity leave ... all four of them rarely call me (i live in another city while all of them are in the same city) and when they do they ensure they remark "u working na .. good for u" or "does work make ur life ... dont want kids as such" or " u shud make time for urself and friends ... work is not everything" or "dont u know how to do it ... u married for 4 yrs now ... y no news" the worse i heard was

friend: hey i was to call someone else ... was sorta surprised when i heard u ... still in the same place right
    me :ahh is it yes still in the same place
    friend:are u in office
    me :yes
    friend: you have work from option right ... then y do you go to office ..
    me : na... i do come to office regularly as such ... howz ur second one ... is your first one going to playschool
    friend :actually I got thru couple of times at the same workplace as urs ... but did not take the offer ... I am interested there coz they have work from home option .... do u know anyone whom u can refer me to ....
    me : ... sorta not sure now ... but wud defintiely try as such ...

any suggestions as to how to deal with them, i really dont want to loose them,

do let me know if i need to start a new thread or i can continue on the same

10. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

@ vini 31

How rude is your friend to ignore your enquiries and go on ranting !!!

Your immediate reply should be "I asked you something ... and thought you would respond" or a lighter on "we were talking about your son's play school rite? how did we skip to my office?"

there is nothing wrong in being direct with such people... and go offline with these friends for sometime... they will come back to senses... they think you have all the time in the world and they are the busiest bodies in the world...

1 person likes this.