Finest Posts - July 2012 Winners

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A curtain raiser!
    Dear All
    ‘An apple a day keeps the Doctor away’ is a saying that has withstood the test of time despite several variations trying to usurp its position. This is about the only respect I have for this fruit. I like my fruits to be tangier with a lot of pep and the apple woefully lacks this quality and in its peppiness and tanginess, I’ll only compare it to an unsolicited kiss from an octogenarian who had forgotten to wear his dentures!

Now why am I talking about apple? It was just a small digression and what I have really come to tell you is about the new slogan, ‘A nomination a day keeps the FP Moderators happy, excited and motivated’! We have 32 nominations for July that, if my mathematics is right, works out to a little over a nomination a day. What more can we ask for? A couple of years back, there used to be as few as ten nominations and today, a nomination a day has come to stay. But we have an insatiable appetite for nominations and we would keep striving hard to take it to a magical number of 100 every month.

Coming to July 2012, I should begin by thanking Satchi who exhibited exemplary zeal in nominating worthy threads. She is the first to break the 4-nomination barrier by going well beyond it despite my telling her that her nominations beyond four would not make her eligible to claim her prize as a nominator of a winning entry. That did not stop her at all and we have accepted all her nominations on those conditions. Won’t it be criminal to throw a wet blanket at an awesome display of zeal such as hers? Taking the cue from Satchi, Iyerviji too has come up with 7 nominations! Do you need any further proof for the childlike enthusiasm for this veteran of the site?

That takes us to the important issue. We are well aware that people who nominate threads and posts to FP are not motivated by the lure of the prizes offered but are driven by a desire to share the good postings that they come across in this community of letters. They do not gloss over good threads merely because they have hit the ceiling of four nominations a month but are keen to have them brought to limelight through a nomination in the FP Forum. We have no plan at all to curb such enthusiasm but for the time being, the prize eligibility will continue to be four nominations a month. We shall strive to do something about it and in the meantime, may your enthusiasm continue unabated!

This is just a curtain raiser for the Winner Announcement for July 2012 which will follow shortly!
    FP Team

7 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I came here to see who the winner is and got to read an excellent curtain raiser. More than the nominations the reply which you give to the nominator is worth praising.

Now waiting to see who is the winner and who is going to get the T Shirts

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise but from doing something worthwhile = Pierre Coneille

4 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear All
    After going through all the 32 nominations of July, I could only recall George Orwell’s famous quote in ‘Animal Farm’ that ‘All are equal but some are more equal than others’. This is perhaps the only way I can justify my selection of the Winners of the month! Every nomination has outstanding attributes of its own and what a job it was to select the Winners of them!

Let me quickly run through the entries to make sure that nothing is overlooked.
    The very first nomination of the month was falguni’s reminiscence of those hostel days of hers or are they really? I am confused since she has been posting it in parts as a serial under ‘Stories’. This very entertaining thread will not be allowed to conclude by falguni’s fans even if she wants to conclude it!
    Next comes Satch’s hugely popular thread warning us to mind our language. She points out there are more pitfalls in this delightful language than there are uncovered borewells in this country. And as you run to try and get your dictionary to find out the meaning of some word employed by her, say so when you go looking for it. If you call it affectionately by its short name ‘dicky’, you will find a whole lot of eyebrows being raised in your ‘prim and proper’ neighbourhood!
    Viswa’s ‘Love beyond life’, a poignant narration of the saga of a woman with two children in an alien land when fate delivers her a cruel blow at the most inappropriate moment, is a celebration of hope and determination.
    Inana comes next to shoot the question,’Democracy anyone?’ point blank at us. She tries to whip our conscience into action asking us why the parents of a girl child are milked dry until she is given off in marriage in the name of tradition.
    Next cutemonster compares life to an ECG in her thread ‘Please never give up!’ Both a straight life without ups and downs and an ECG that runs in a straight line would only mean that the person is dead. She stresses on this aspect to tell us that suicide is not an answer for such ups and downs.
    Smritisinha talks of being a girl and raises a very pertinent point as to why a man is not expected to share the responsibility of running the household even if his wife is on par with him professionally and is a breadwinner too. Unless the male ego accepts this fact, no women empowerment is complete according to her.
    Veteran Rgsrinivasan breaks into an eloquent verse ‘Always’ to tell us that Time can never leave its footprint on the beauty of someone who is enshrined in our heart.
    For those who think humanity is no more, Shanvy reassures us how impactful and strong humanity continues to be and cites the spontaneous help she has received from ILites when she appealed for their benevolence to help a cancer stricken woman.
    Satchi tugs at our heart telling us about her daddy, her buddy. When Satchi gets emotional, the taps in our eyes are sure to open. Such is the power of her narrative skill.
    Viswa’s concern for people suffering on account of our inappropriate beliefs comes out strongly in his thread and he has proved himself as a man of great compassion through his successive threads that get nominated in FP.
    To continue…

3 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Re: Finest Posts - July 2012 Winners- The Announcement Finally!

Break ke baad, Satchi enters with her imagination running riot. Having earned the wrath of the powers that be for turning an old Eden into a cauldron of hell, she continues to remain sane and tells us to go, pick our plate before it is too late! Old habits die hard but food habits die harder!
    Viswa’s service to humanity transcends all levels. I have been in and out these medical camps as a sponsor and we have always kept our faculties tuned to the sound of the van that would be bringing our food and beverages! But Viswa is different, isn’t he?
    Anyone who attempts an eulogy on Satchi will surely end up calling her a ‘samathu sakkarakatti’. Knbg did just that in her FB to Iyerviji!
    In listing her brown buddies, knbg has almost acquired the status of Robert Brown. After reading this thread, I have developed a great liking for brown despite the fact that in the evening of my life the predominant colour is blue which is getting darker by the hour!
    Manjus amazing perseverance comes out vividly in her narration of the lengthiest lesson learnt in her life. This is a lesson in which the well being of the pedestrians is directly proportional to the time spent in learning the difficult art of driving!
    May I tell you that eandian can never fail to regale us with her lucid and picturesque narrative style? Read how she settles the score with her DD and you’ll know what I mean!
    Satchi’s learning to swim would make a veteran fish laugh hysterically wondering why any unseen hand should cause her limbs to freeze!
    Whenever I hear Mindi bidding adieu to a dear friend, my heart suffuses with such warmth that can be compared only with the one that was created by the injection prior to my angiogram!
    Gayathrivijay beckons us to reason it out and arrives at the conclusion that it is better to stick on to our own beliefs rather than reasoning out everything and do as much good as possible thus making the world a better place to live in. And I would say amen to that!
    It is Satchi yet again playing the Devil’s Advocate raising the question ‘Is this what is called progress?’ IT is a question that does not look for an answer but is intended to help people to vent their feelings! 3228 views, 382 likes and 107 FBs in 15 days all go to prove that she is exceedingly good at playing this role that she professes to a T!
    Riya’s Mouse in the House may have given the fright of his life to her DH but he not be ashamed of it. Fear of Mouse is called musophobia and even Walt Disney, the creator of the famous Micky Mouse was awfully afraid of mice!
    Eandian’s experience as a cinematic spouse has brought in an avalanche of FBs! It is proving to be a phenomenal favourite to many ILites and has become a great bonding factor in IL. All cinematic spouses unite!
    Sbonigala tells us about the kids and their understanding power through a very heartwarming incident involving herself and her DD. Her narration was simple and went straight to my heart!
    The playful Riya who keeps regaling us with delightful tales of her DH and herself surprises us in the thread ‘Making of Ambal-Varalakshmi Nonbu Special’. This timely thread with detailed instructions for creating the figure of Ambal for Nonbu would have been useful to many (819 to be precise!)
    The ‘Heartfelt of Ramblings’ of Smriti is an ode to the life of a girl from birth. Despite the undertone of pathos, this beautiful poem justly concludes on an optimistic note. A great work by smriti!
    At a time when we are flooded with many members are extremely critical of their MILs, A new story about an amazing MIL by 6teenpearls comes as a breath of fresh air. I wish more and more members share their happy stories too!
    Raba’s womb pie reminds me of Baktha Prahlada who learned all his good manners and developed a positive approach while he was comfortably sojourning in his mother’s womb. Going by its eloquence, this womb pie will someday taking the ILites by storm with her delightful Snippets!
    DGcreative has surely opened a Pandora’s Box of a different kind with her loving query about the most romantic things that husbands did! Look at the enthusiastic FBs, each one narrating her own experience! But take it from me. Unromantic husbands are really more romantic than those who can display it!
    Smriti raises a serious question ‘What is marriage?’ and answers it herself in her typical style ‘That is marriage. The one that survives against all odds. The one where, if the other genuinely asks for forgiveness, the other forgives, the one where LOVE wins against every other feeling of the world be it anger, lust or greed.’ Can there be a different view?
    To those who keep thinking that death is an awful thing, Pushpavalli Srinivasan presents a different perspective about how it can be a great relief too. Her maturity of thinking makes that perspective worth pondering over.
    Rakhii has really rendered yeoman service to office going young mothers who struggle to find out a suitable daycare center for their young ones. Her questionnaire is so exhaustive that if any center meets up with all the points, a mother can take a decision and feel comfortable about it.
    The concluding entry for the month is an overview of the birth control debate in USA by arch1209. I found her arguments that a mother should have the right to decide on having a baby very strong.

Honestly each nomination is a gem with an intrinsic value of its own. I find selecting the best of them more difficult to decide which payasam to drink first in a Onam Sadya! I hope you understand why I dragged in George Orwell and his wisecrack at the beginning of this exercise! After breaking my highly dented head, I select the following two as the pick of the month:
    Finest Narration of the Month: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/171977-please-never-give-up.html by cutemonster
    What is most appealing about this thread besides being a very timely one is the earnestness in her exhortation. Further the incident that she has chosen to support her condemnation of suicide is itself a heart-wrenching one. Her conclusion about the ups and downs in life is most appropriate too.
    Congratulations Satchi for picking out the winner and as it comeswithin your first four, you will get your prize too!
    Finest Contribution of the Month: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/174261-tips-choosing-day-care-toddlers.html by Rakhii
    I need not adduce any further reasons for my choice except pointing out that this thread has been made ‘Sticky’ and has thus achieved the status of a Reference Manual for young employed mothers.
    Congratulations to Bhargavi for nominating the Winning thread!
    All the winners, please send your contact information to the following id so the gifts can be sent to you.
    support@indusladies.com

The FP Team

12 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Cute Monster and Rakhi for winning the award

Congrats Bhargavi and Satchi for spotting the winners.

3 people like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Re: Finest Posts - July 2012 Winners- The Announcement Finally!

My dear Anna and Kamla

It must have been tough for you to select the winners. Anna you have narrated so well about each and every writer who wrote excellent threads in July. In July we had threads from birth to death. It was really a special month with 32 nominations and the snippets written by great writers. Kudos to all of them and also three cheers to my dear Anna and Kamla for giving us a special treat . I feel I had a yummy pal payasam reading the snippes and the way Cheeniya Sir presented it in FP forum because pal payasam is my favourite

I have to mention here the patience my dear Anna had in going through all the nominations , scanning them and bringing us the finest post. Also as everyone knows he types only with one hand or one finger and it is so difficult to do so. Three cheers to him

3 people like this.
  7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Cutemonster, rakhii, satchi and Bhargavi. :cheers :thumbsup

3 people like this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rakhi Cute monster , Bhargavi & Satchi
    Congrats.....

3 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a million Cheeniya sir for the wonderful summary. Your warm words certainly bring comfort when the damp winds of monsoon blow. Thanks to you and Kamla for the immense patience you have shown in reading each and every snippet. I totally agree that it must have been a really taxing job trying to choose a winner. The best part is that there have been so many new members and each of them has come up with really winning snippets.

I agree with Vijima that reading your summary is akin to eating a paysam. I had a flavour followed by chakka prathaman followed by nendram pazham paysam followed again by chakka prathaman ...... :-D

I am really happy to see Cutemonster's and Rakhi's entries winning this month.

Congratulations Cutemonster and Rakhi, congratulations Bhargavi and thanks everyone.

4 people like this.
  10. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Cutemonster and Rakhi

congratulations Bhargavi and Satchi [​IMG]

Thanks

3 people like this.