Close [X]
LOG IN
Close [X]
PLEASE LOG IN OR REGISTER

Sorry, you need to be a registered member and logged in to access this page.
Please login or register below.

REGISTER

It's easy, quick and FREE!




Like Tree24Likes
  1. #11
    Chitvish's Avatar
    Chitvish is offline IL Hall Of Fame Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    City
    chennai
    State
    tamil nadu
    Country
    India
    Posts
    33,719
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Seemantham - 4

    Manaiyil vaithu padarathu

    Love,
    Chithra.

    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chitvish; 27th June 2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Deepu04 likes this.

  2. #12
    mkthpavi is offline Senior ILite
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    City
    London
    State
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Chithra...

    THANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....Romba naala naan ungala indha topic-kkada pudungi eduthen and here it comes :)
    I just love your write-up....beautiful and 'homely'..I felt as if you are sitting in front of me and describing the rituals :)

    Just some questions on the gifting formalities considering modern times and expectations..

    a) What are the things which the girls' husband and in-laws are supposed to give the pregnant woman and her father-mother-brother-sister on these occasions?

    b) Is it a must for the girl's side to give silk saree to the husband's mom and sister and clothes for his father-brother etc?

    c) Is there any 'jewel' expectation on this occasion?

    Also, your pics were very pretty...would you have them in a larger size? When I opened, it opened in a very small size..

    With love
    Pavithra


  3. #13
    Chitvish's Avatar
    Chitvish is offline IL Hall Of Fame Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    City
    chennai
    State
    tamil nadu
    Country
    India
    Posts
    33,719
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Pavithra,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, it was you, who asked for these two & I started writing them !
    The exchanges you have asked for as "gifts" - they all depend on the individual families. There is no hard & fast rule at all. For my V & S, the exchanges were not in sarees at all. Those days, it used to be Rs 101, thats all.
    For valaikappu, usually a new bangle besides ponkappu, vellikappu, is made for the girl by her parents.
    For the seemandam, no jewels are generally made.
    Thanks for the comments on pictures. I scanned them as pdf files & converted to jpg files. I can send you the pdf files if you want - to see me looking funny !
    Seemantham photos are my daughter's !
    Love,
    Chithra.


  4. #14
    mkthpavi is offline Senior ILite
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    City
    London
    State
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Chithra,
    Thanks for the clarification. And pls PM the PDF files :D :D

    While our ancestors made all these rituals to invoke the blessings of God and elders and near & dear, I find that it has taken a somewhat materialistic roopam, with expectations of 'silk sarees' and other items from the girl's side even during these ceremonies typically conducted at the boy's side !!!

    Romba nanri...waiting for more from you on iyer rituals and events... :) I am copying all your articles religiously...definitely will come in handy in future, I hope so :)

    With love
    Pavithra

    Quote Originally Posted by chitvish View Post
    Dear Pavithra,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, it was you, who asked for these two & I started writing them !
    The exchanges you have asked for as "gifts" - they all depend on the individual families. There is no hard & fast rule at all. For my V & S, the exchanges were not in sarees at all. Those days, it used to be Rs 101, thats all.
    For valaikappu, usually a new bangle besides ponkappu, vellikappu, is made for the girl by her parents.
    For the seemandam, no jewels are generally made.
    Thanks for the comments on pictures. I scanned them as pdf files & converted to jpg files. I can send you the pdf files if you want - to see me looking funny !
    Seemantham photos are my daughter's !
    Love,
    Chithra.



  5. #15
    meenu is offline Silver ILite
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    City
    chennai
    State
    tamil nadu
    Country
    India
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Chith,
    The write up is wonderfully meticulous and wellwritten. I am also a littlesad that I leftout a couple of steps when w conducted mydaughter's seemantham a couple of years back.THe explanation is neatand heartwarmingshowing again what a perfectionist you are. God be with you.
    Regards,
    Meenu
    Yours ane Ruby's photos are wonderful


  6. #16
    Chitvish's Avatar
    Chitvish is offline IL Hall Of Fame Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    City
    chennai
    State
    tamil nadu
    Country
    India
    Posts
    33,719
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Pavithra,
    Pdf files cant be PM ed !
    Dont think, I am very good at rituals etc !
    If you want, I will remove jpg files & post pdf for clear viewing.
    Love,
    Chithra.





    Quote Originally Posted by mkthpavi View Post
    Dear Chithra,
    Thanks for the clarification. And pls PM the PDF files :D :D

    While our ancestors made all these rituals to invoke the blessings of God and elders and near & dear, I find that it has taken a somewhat materialistic roopam, with expectations of 'silk sarees' and other items from the girl's side even during these ceremonies typically conducted at the boy's side !!!

    Romba nanri...waiting for more from you on iyer rituals and events... :) I am copying all your articles religiously...definitely will come in handy in future, I hope so :)

    With love
    Pavithra



  7. #17
    Chitvish's Avatar
    Chitvish is offline IL Hall Of Fame Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    City
    chennai
    State
    tamil nadu
    Country
    India
    Posts
    33,719
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Meenu,
    Thankyou. To get all the details to write took such a long time !
    I do not think it matters if you had left a couple of steps - we cant help it !
    Love,
    Chithra.



    Quote Originally Posted by meenu View Post
    Dear Chith,
    The write up is wonderfully meticulous and wellwritten. I am also a littlesad that I leftout a couple of steps when w conducted mydaughter's seemantham a couple of years back.THe explanation is neatand heartwarmingshowing again what a perfectionist you are. God be with you.
    Regards,
    Meenu
    Yours ane Ruby's photos are wonderful



  8. #18
    mkthpavi is offline Senior ILite
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    City
    London
    State
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    ok chithra !
    PDF-s post pannungo instead of jpg, if that helps..
    For some reason, the pics are coming as little bigger than stamp size..so not very clear..

    with love
    pavithra

    Quote Originally Posted by chitvish View Post
    Dear Pavithra,
    Pdf files cant be PM ed !
    Dont think, I am very good at rituals etc !
    If you want, I will remove jpg files & post pdf for clear viewing.
    Love,
    Chithra.



  9. #19
    birraj is offline Senior ILite
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    City
    Denver
    State
    CO
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Dear Chitra Mam,
    Wow!...Thanks for this detailed post. I should use it when my son grows....!...I never thought I had missed all the valikappu formalities and semantham...After seeing your post made me feel cry that missed this whole part in my life...I am feeling so sad that I was left in a place where I could not get the sastigal and missed it...

    I was planning to do seemanthan alone along with my son's ayoushomam, but some how my MIL did not agreet even Rajesh was not willing...
    So...I should be helpful atleast to future generations in my family....I will write everyting in my CD to protect it for years..

    Thanksf or your wonderful effort.
    Love
    Birundha


  10. #20
    gayathriar is offline Silver ILite
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    City
    Troy
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Valaikappu & Seemantham

    Yes Please C. Can you please post the pdf file for clear viewing?

    It is an excellent write-up. I am sure it will be extremely useful to anybody who wants to perform these ceremonies and do not have anybody to guide them. This is one more 'how I wish I knew you earlier and couldn't this write-up have come 2 years before' for me.

    Fortunately, I was in India for my Valaikappu. But for my Seemantham, I was in the US with neither my MIL or mother around( the most suitable day in my eighth month came too early and my mom came here close to my delivery ). I tried to make notes of the sequence of events mentioned by my MIL and mother in bits and pieces and was calling home back and forth to clarify and confirm. But the Vadyar here was very good - we also visited him a few times before the cermony to clarify how the rituals are to be performed in order to plan for it. He even made our elderly friends perform Ethi-irakaradhu. So, from my experience, it will prove to be a very very useful post!!!

    Also, I remember my folks making me eat a pongal made with tuvar dhal and turmeric on the Valaikappu morning.

    -Gayathri.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:04 PM.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283