Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra Ma,

Thank you so much for explaining everything so beautifully. You look awesome :thumbsup. You are so slim you are putting me to shame at 9 weeks :). Its a compliment :thumbsup.

I have one small question with regards to dates for Valikappu and Seemantham. Since you are saying Valikappu and Seemantham can be performed together, is it OK for them to be performed in odd month and club seemantham with V, instead of other way round?

The reason i am asking is, my parents are visiting us in Aug2011 and that time I will be 5 months pregnant. My mom is coming back in 8th month to help with delivery but dad wont be there. So, my question is, can I get S and V in 5th month itself? Is that OK?

Also, due to some family issues, my husband is not going to ask my SIL to do the seemantham for me. Can my parents do it for me instead of my SIL? Please let me know Chitra ma. Thank you.

Edit: One more question, if we do it together, is it necessary to buy 2 new silk sarees or one saree with do fine?

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations!!
    Always practicality counts!! So, there is nothing wrong in combining & doing in the 5 the month.
    If SIL will not be there, no problem at all. Your parents' presence is adequate!!
    One saree is enough if performed on the same day.
    All the best:)

3. Rakhii

Thanks Chitra Ma, appreciate it.

4. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Oh Chitra mami,

I have actually read through this post of yours before, but didnt read through it fully. But reading it today brought tears in my eyes as I am one of those many women who are waiting with bated breath for this 'vaibhavam'. I hope I get to celebrate this soon and when I do I will sure follow your write up to a 'T'. (My in-laws are from Palakkad and we are from Thanjavur..so your write up somehow seems to be a perfect belnd of the two for me :))

Thanks in advance mami

Mythili

5. Chitvish

Dear Mythili,
    I felt sentimental on reading your post. Hope by God's grace things fall in place & this vaibhavam does take place soon.
    My prayers & blessings.

6. Rakhii

Chitra ma, looks like I am in a fix. Please hep me with this as I do not know what to do.

Like I explained a while ago, I wanted this function to be done when my parents are here, which between 28th July to 1st Sept, 2011. But my inlaws are telling me (according to gurukkul) that there are no good dates in those days.

It seems, July 17th to Aug 16th is Aadi maasam
    July 29th to Aug 27th is waning phase of the moon (thei pirai). This means they are saying we cant do this fucntion between July 17th and Aug 28th. This leaves me with only 3 days, 29th, 30th and 31st.

Now that Gurukkul is saying its better to do after sept 1st. I am really heart broken and I have no words to express my grief. I dont know what to do. I so much wanted this function when my parents are here. Please tell me Amma, what should I do?

7. Chitvish

Please don't feel upset.
    Bhgwan jo kuch karta hai, balaa hi kartha hai!!
    You will have your parents' blessings in absentia. Good day & muhurtham are more important.
    all the best. Que sera, sera!!

8. VjVid

VjVid Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mam...

Thanks a lot for this wonderful post...

Is there any other similar posts by you on functions/festivals/rituals?

Can you also share me what all functions we normally do and how for the new born baby, like naamakarnam, anna prashanam, ayushomam, etc... I lost my mom and there is noone to guide me in these... I dont want to give up the traditions we follow, please share me the details whenever you find time...

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

Cheers,
    Vjvid

9. Chitvish

Hi,
    I have written a post on baby birth related functions & one on Sumangali prarthanai.
    Please search & read them.

10. VjVid

VjVid Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Chitra Mam!!! Found those posts and they are really helpful...

Cheers,
    VjVid.