santoshi - ma puja

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sushmasrivastav, Apr 26, 2009.

1. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Doing the Santoshi Mata vrat is something you have to ensure you complete and not leave undone.. The things you require to do this vrat are: 1 coconut (you must use this same coconut for all the fridays and then give it in the temple on the day you are doing the udyaapan), gud and channa, a lamp to light the diya (ghee only), green bananas, flowers, dhoop, incense sticks, a copper vessel to hold water, Santoshi Mata vrat katha book, haldi, kumkum, a photo of Santoshi Mata.. Duration: This vrat needs to be done on a Friday, the duration can continue for 16 or 32 fridays. Vidhi: To start your vrat you will begin on a friday, Ideally best done before noon, say the Santoshi Mata katha in front of the ghee lamp if there is no one to listen to the story, One needs to fast for the whole day or incase of sickness can have one meal (without onions, garic, tomato or any other sour flavoring) It can be taken during lunch after doing a 'bhog' for Santoshi Mata. One needs to ensure not to touch any sour things on this day. This is because Santoshi Mata is believed to sit under a milk fall and incase the 'bhakt' touches any sour thing, they not only 'bhrasht' the vrat but as Ma takes her bhakt close to her, it is believed that we also contaminate Mata's abode..

2. Prema88

Prema88 Senior IL'ite

Doing the Santoshi Mata vrat is something you have to ensure you complete and not leave undone.. The things you require to do this vrat are: 1 coconut (you must use this same coconut for all the fridays and then give it in the temple on the day you are doing the udyaapan), gud and channa, a lamp to light the diya (ghee only), green bananas, flowers, dhoop, incense sticks, a copper vessel to hold water, Santoshi Mata vrat katha book, haldi, kumkum, a photo of Santoshi Mata.. Duration: This vrat needs to be done on a Friday, the duration can continue for 16 or 32 fridays. Vidhi: To start your vrat you will begin on a friday, Ideally best done before noon, say the Santoshi Mata katha in front of the ghee lamp if there is no one to listen to the story, One needs to fast for the whole day or incase of sickness can have one meal (without onions, garic, tomato or any other sour flavoring) It can be taken during lunch after doing a 'bhog' for Santoshi Mata. One needs to ensure not to touch any sour things on this day. This is because Santoshi Mata is believed to sit under a milk fall and incase the 'bhakt' touches any sour thing, they not only 'bhrasht' the vrat but as Ma takes her bhakt close to her, it is believed that we also contaminate Mata's abode..

3. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

It is nice to note that there are other friends in IL following Santoshi Maa Vrat and believe in the Goddess. I have been doing this Vrat from school days and even now continue to do it in Canada. As there is no temple for Santoshi Maa here, I organize to do the Udhyapan every time in Mumbai. But, now, I'm glad to note that there is one in Bangalore. My sister lives in Bangalore so it may be much more easier to arrange for the Udhyapan. Thanks! Jai Santoshi Maa!

4. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

Hi Deepti,

Special thanks to you for sharing all the info re: Santoshi Maa temple in Bangalore. Great Help!
    Rgds, Kala

5. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

I am doing santoshi maata pooja for 45 days.... I heard about this pooja from one of the santoshi maata pooja vrat kathas. I regularly worship her, but I am not sure how to do the udayapana of this 45 days santoshi mata pooja.....
    Could anybody advice me Thanks in advance!

6. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

hi

Santoshi Mata Pooja is usually performed for a period of 16 Weeks on Friday.
    You will be required to have a Santoshi Matt Photo, the Pooja book which contains the story and for prasad you will need roasted chana, jaggery and green banana.
    "You are not supposed to eat or touch anything which is sour like Curd, Lemon Etc"
    On a Friday morning have head bath and place the photo in a clean Pooja area and put a small Kalash. Place Santhoshimatha's photo and decorate it with flowers. Keep channa (soaked in water for 6 hours in water) or puffed bengal gram along with jaggery piece and bananas as prasadam. Light diya before the Goddess. Chant the mantras and read the story and give aarti to the Goddess and have prasadam. You can do fasting the entire day or can have food only once in a day (may be supper or dinner). You are not supposed to eat anything sour on the day of the Pooja...
    You need to do this for 16 weeks on Friday, and after you finish the 16 weeks you will be required to do Udyapan, i.e. you will be required to offer food to kids and remember not to feed them anything sour and not to give them any cash, as they might use the cash to buy something sour. First gather the things required and then start the Pooja.

7. krmandy

krmandy New IL'ite

Plz tell me if i do puja in one home and do udyapan in other home is that ok as both homes are mine? Also i want to know after udyapan what to do with the coconut used during the puja?

8. krmandy

krmandy New IL'ite

Can i offer coconut to any temple or i have to find santoshi mata temple, my nearby temple has all god and goddess including santoshi mataa, can i offer the coconut there?

9. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

thnx for sharing :)