Sashtiapthapoorthi & Sadabishekam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by DIvKar, Jan 5, 2007.

1. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

Re: Sashtiapthapoorthi

hi all of u,
    without knowin abt this thread i had started a thread seperately in the marriages forum as 60th wedding.i was also lookin for this info as both my parents and in-laws will have it in few years.thanks for all ur suggestions.can the moderators please tranfer or put these msgs in the 60th weddin thread as well.
    luv
    pavithra

2. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Re: Sashtiapthapoorthi

Dear Divya,

It is nice to know that you want to perform Shastiaptha poorthi to your parents and in-laws. Generally, it is arranged by sons in south indian families and ofcourse nowadays daughters are doing great serice to their parents including those need to be done by sons. As someone has mentioned earlier, it is celebrated as second wedding to the elderly people bringing some cheer in their lives. It also provides an occassion for the entire family get together. Please go ahead and perform the function. I am sure you will be blessed by Gods.

Regards,

TDU

3. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Sadabisekam at Thirukadaiyur

Dear Ilites, We r planning to perform Sadabishekam for my parents-in-law in the month of August at Thirukadaiyur. Kindly let me know how we have to proceed about in making all the arrangements. The means to reach the temple from chennai, cost of the function and staying arrangements etc..

thanks and regards,

sujatha

1 person likes this.
  4. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Re: Sadabisekam at Thirukadaiyur

Hi Sijatha.

First , my heartiest wishes to your in-laws for their sathabishekam,

Thirukadaiyur - Just reach Mayavaram by State Express Transprt bus fromChennai and thee are lot of buses from Mayavaram to Thirukadaiyr (say every 15/20 minutes and you can reach in about 1 hour. Some information about this Place and temple. -

The worship services are offered six times a day in the temple. Almost every day dawns with one celebration or other, as hundreds of pilgrims throng the temple to celebrate their 60th or 80th birthdays.celebration of 60th and 80th birth days (birth star) called as Sashti Aptha poorthi and Sathabishekam respectively is held very auspicious by the people as their longevity will increase. The annual 'Brahmotsavam' is celebrated in the month of Chithirai (April-May); the 'Shankhabishekam' celebrated in the month of Kartikai (November-December) is also of great importance here. Few other festivals being celebrated over here include Navaratri and 'Aadi Pooram'

You can also call the respective people incharge offering the same via any local agent from chennai city.

5. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Ramya, Thanks for your kind reply. I would like to know more about bookings for sadabhishekam, hotel bookings, no. of people allowed to attend etc. Is there any website to give all these details? Can it be done on any day or it should be done only on the Janma natchathiram of the person? As my f-in-law completed 79 years on June 15th we want to do the function when we visit chennai in August. Can it be done like that? Anyone who have done the function at Thirukadaiyur pls keep me posted of the details.

thanks and regards,

sujatha

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This was given to us by a friend. when we were looking at options. but then we did the rudram and all other related functions at home itself.

Hotel Sadhabishegam
    Sannathi Street,
    Thirukkadaiyur.
    Tel : 91 4364 - 287413

www.sadhabishegam.net

7. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Good to see the interactions on Sashtiapthapoorthi, Sadabishekam from our indus friends, and conducting these rituals at Thirukadaiyur is auspicious.
    Some more details about this historic temple as under:
    SRI AMIRTHAKADESWARAR TEMPLE,THIRUKADAIYUR located in Thirukadiyur,near MAYAVARAM in Tamilnadu,India.
    20kms from Mayiladuthurai,on the chidambaram- Nagappatinam East Coast Road.
    This temple is for the Lord & his Consort Tirukkadaiyur
    The Amritaghateswarar - Abirami Temple of Tirukkadaiyur is associated with the legends of Markandeya & Abirami patter.
    When devas,Asuras churned parkadal to get Amirtham,they forgot to Worship Lord Ganesa,
    Lord Ganesa stole the pot of Amirtham & kept at Thirukadiyur,
    it's believed that the Sivalingam in this temple is made of Amirtha Kudam .
    As the pot of Amirtham was hidden here,the lord Ganesa is called “Kailavarna pilliyar”.
    Markandeya,son of sage Mrikandu was predicted to live for only 16 years.
    Hence Markandeya worshipped Amritaghateswarar bringing the water from Ganges through an underground passage to the temple.
    On the D-day,Yama appeared with his noose,kala paasa.
    Markandeya sought refuge in the Lord and embraced the Siva Lingam. The Lord warned Yama not to touch Markandeya as he was under his protection.
    Yama did not listen & threw the noose that bound Markandeya,the Lingam together.
    Angered by this act of rashness,the Lord kicked him with the left leg and held him under his left foot,making him inactive.
    Markandeya was blessed with Ever 16 .
    TIRUKKADAIYUR TEMPLE : AUSPICIOUS TIMES
    The worship services are offered six times a day in the temple. Almost every day dawns with one celebration or other,
    as hundreds of pilgrims throng the temple to celebrate their 60th or 80th birthdays.
    celebration of 60th and 80th birth days (birth star) called as Sashti Aptha poorthi and Sathabishekam respectively is held very auspicious by the people as their longevity will increase.
    The annual 'Brahmotsavam' is celebrated in the month of Chithirai (April-May)
    the 'Shankhabishekam' celebrated in the month of Kartikai (November-December) is also of great importance here.
    Few other festivals being celebrated over here include Navaratri and 'Aadi Pooram' .
    POOJAS TO BE PERFORMED FOR
    It is believed that Lord Siva dimnished Kalan (Yaman) in Thirukadiyur.
    So Lord Siva in Thirukadiyur is called Mritunga jaya murthi .
    Devotees completing 59 years and starting sixty have to perform Ukira ratha Santhi - completing sixty years and starting sixties have to perform Sashtiyapatha purthi .
    Completing sixty-nine years and starting seventy have to perform Beema ratha santhi.
    Starting eighty has to perform Sathabishekham and Ayusha homam.
    According to astrology devotees can perform Mrutinji jaya homam.

Subbu

8. poorni_deepak

poorni_deepak New IL'ite

Hi ILites,

I live in US and my father is going to have his 60th birthday tommorow. He lives in Chennai. I would like to gift him something like gift cards or gift hampers so that he can select any thing he wants. Can anybody help me in giving sugestions to send a gift card to him? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Poornima

9. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi poornima,
    it is auspicious to send give sari and dhoti to the couple on their 60th wedding so if you can send some gift coupons for saris and shirts probably that would be a great gift!!!
    regards
    pavi

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. poorni_deepak

poorni_deepak New IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,

Thank you for your kind reply. I thought about this option but usually everybody does this. My father likes to read tamil books like novels, old books, etc. in tamil. So I thought let me send him some gift cards of the shops from which he can get the books he wants to. I need some websites which sends gift coupons through online. Anyway thanks for your reply again.

Thanks,

Poornima