vaddi bhiyyam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by EagerForInfo, Aug 31, 2015.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello

This is my fifth year of marriage. On September 15 we will complete 5 years. But my mother in law and them are from thelangaana and my mother and family are from.vizag. It seems that my parents need to give vaddi bhiyyam for me on my 5th anniversary. But they r in India.

What do I do now? I just don't want anything bad to happen. Already me and my husband are arguing a lot.

What is the procedure for vaddi bhiyyam. I can ask my mother in law but I'm afraid shell get mad if my parents cant so it. Is there any way my parents can do it from India?

Please suggest. I am in dilemma I dont know what to do. My parents can't come here to Usa in two weeks. (my mother in law only mentioned it once so I didn't pressure my parents to come either). But as time is approaching I am scared about what will happen if my parents dont do anything for vaddi bhiyyam.

2. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Vaddi bhiyam is raw rice mixed with little turmeric powder . I don't know and never heard custom like that .usually it Will be given to goddess . Only once that too at time of marriage girl brings from parental home to in-laws home. You just ask your dh that would be better

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Vadibiyyam is rice mixed with turmeric usually given during weddings,Gurkha pravesh , functions or anniversaries for married couples.

The couple are made to sit and all the relatives will pour the rice in saree Pallu for the lady or towel for the man.

If you don't have any relatives near by how will you do it, you can do it when you go to india next time.

Nothing will happen if they don't give . but they do have a calculation that if you don't do it continuously for some years for a couple , you don't need to do it later .

the same rice Is supposed to be cooked and fed to relatives later, it is harmless and good natured ritual , nothing bad will happen.

ask your MIl if it is ok for parents to just send the rice to you and you can get your friends to give it to you. It is few kilos of rice that's it. Don't let them scare you.

You can always do it in your next visit to india .

4. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Your parents cannot send vadibiyyam to you. Vadibiyyam is a ceremony where you and your parents should be present at same place. No issues if it is missed. Next time when you go to India they can perform.

5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Nothing will happen, don't worry....just ask your parents to give you heartful blessings for you....This is just a custom, nothing bad will happen if you miss it....i knew so many people who missed this custom and they are still happily leading their married life.....you don't need vadibiyyam to keep peace between you and your husband ....it is in your hands, try to be affectionate with your hubby and avoid arguments....Do pooja everyday at home and pray to God daily, these are very important to keep peace at home.....i am not against to traditions and customs, but i believe these customs and traditions should not scare you like this....I believe in God, that's it....