I'm trying to write a short story about a punjabi wedding and...

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by LivingPartTime, Nov 9, 2014.

1. LivingPartTime

LivingPartTime New IL'ite

I'm trying to write a short story about a punjabi wedding and most of the scenes are during the make up of bride. So i want to know what other family members do when the make up of bride is being done. What preparations have been made and when the bride's makeup is done exactly? Sorry for my bad english. I know i missed some more questions. I really need details to start my short story. I have the climax in my mind though.

1 person likes this.

2. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi

Thats a pretty nice idea for writing a story..

Being a Punjabi, I have attended many Punjabi weddings (my cousin's weddings, my real sister's, my friends and other relatives ). I am not a narrator or story teller , I hope you will my information useful.

Q.1 What other relatives will be doing ?

Okay, so while the bride is in the make-up session, all the aunties of the house will come o her beautician every now and then for their own makeup and hair-do. And they will give lame excuses..hehehe
    for example: One Aunty will say to the beautician: See my mascara is fine or not? When the beautician will have a look at it there would be no mascara, then the aunty will pretend like Oh my God, It washed away.. Please you do it now, It will just take a second. And leaving the Make up of the Bride-the person for whom everybody else is getting ready, the beautician will put Mascara on Aunty's Eyes. laugh1smiley

While this Bride's Mom will come and ask beautician How much time she will take to finish her daughter's makeup ? Then the " Mascara Aunty " will suddenly change sides and say Yes you must complete the Bride's Makeup First, I was telling same to her (Aunty to bride's mom )

In same manner some will come for their Hair-do and some will come with their "PERFECT" Make-up tips for the bride's makeup . Some examples are:

1. Ohhh.. the lipstick's shade is very light
    2. The Bun is not perfect , do it again
    3. You haven't applied the eye shadow, bride will look bad without that

Children will be playing all over the house ( Actually Running aimlessly :rotfl) and their respective Moms will be running behind them to get them ready.

Male members of the Family, will be gossiping in one corner of the room and will be looking for some eatables to be served every hour. (Only the bride's real brother and father will be busy)

At the same time they would be scolding at their respective wives telling them to get ready on time as they have a permanent concept in their mind that Ladies will take whole day to get ready. gigglingsmiley

Their would be a Pandit ji troubling Bride's sister or Mother by asking them to bring something every time they sit to relax He will ask for Ghee, Sacred thread, Raw Milk, Kumkum and all the Puja Items one by one. (I don't get why cant they make a list of these items)

Some Ladies will be eating secretly in the Kitchen saying that we will not eat at the marriage hall, as to save a little cost for the hosts. (These ladies will be one of the first to attack on the starters once they reach the marriage hall) laugh1smiley

Now with such hustle and bustle You can imagine how much time that Poor Beautician will take to finish off with bride's makeup. Bride will be ready just befire the time to reach the stage in marriage hall (some bride's are even late)

Regarding Preparations I didn't get what exactly you wanna ask. Well this thread is very old , I hope @LivingPartTime is still active here and will read my response. I really enjoyed posting it. :lol:

1 person likes this.