Basics for Navarathri - Help needed for a First Timer :)

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by AkilaMani, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mathangi10

mathangi10 New IL'ite

Hello Akila,

Nice to see you interested in keeping Golu and even am looking forward to keep golu every year..

1. Are there any pre-requesits for keeping golu?
    Nothing of that sort.. bt usually elder ppl say that only when there is a custom in a family to keep golu, they continue..else they jus give that thaambulam if they dont have the custom of keeping Golu..but nowadays all are interested in this..so only your interest is the major pre-requisite

2. What should I know & do before planning for keeping golu?
    1. main thing is golu padi.. it should be in odd number 3,5,7 and maximum 9 since it is celebrated for 9 days
    2. if you want to do something out of box, like theme based or want to give some different gifts, you might need some extra research and all
    3. in some families they keep kumbam to begin with the doll arrangement and also there is hierarchy to be followed which am not sure..

3. Is it a must to have steps for golu?
    i think thats the beauty of Golu :)

4. Should there always be a theme? or can it be just a collection of gods statues & dolls?
    Not really... a good collection of dolls must be fine

5. Is it possible for working women to keep golu?
    Yes, very much but with some planning and time management you can also involve your family members so that you dont feel exhausted.. i used to do all the hand-crafts and start collecting things 15 days before navaratri starts

6. Is it a must that someone should sing.... everywhere I go usually they ask someone to sing and mostly someone does, but what if I can't? I know it sounds silly... but these things make me nervous and hesitant even to take the first step.
    the basic idea of Golu.. atleast the way i see is.. the previous generation women didnt have much to do with the outer world..and didnt have an opportunity to express their extra-talents..like singing,dancing, embroidary and all..so these 9 days they exhibit all their talents through various ways.. so its not a compulsion.. others can sing and you enjoyyy!!! :rotfl

All the best and pls post your golu pics

PS: whatever i have said may not be completely authentic..experienced ppl can provide you more information!

1 person likes this.
  2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deepa,

Today I spoke to my MIL and have recieved her blessings to keep golu :) She surprised me by saying that it was about time we start having one with our DDs keen interest, only she was not suggesting because I was working and it would be tedious for me. I was happy to know she is fully ok to start a tradition. She also started suggesting thamboolam ideas and she also gave me a brilliant idea for the padi. I have a coffee table and was wondering what I can keep for the second padi, and she suggested keeping one of our flat toped suitcases :) Really happy to recieve her ok and blessings :-D

Thank you so much dear for your support and wishes :)

Dhanwi85, vidukarth, anurar20 and 2 others like this.
  3. naveenchennai

naveenchennai New IL'ite

Hi
    When you keep kalasam only u should follow all the customs.otherwise it is easy to keep the golu. 3, 5 ,7 ,9 steps u can keep as u wish and also with creativity. u can give thamboolams to tuesdays and fridays atleast since u r working women. MY mom used to give like this only. but daily some neivedhyam is given to god like kalkandu , dates ....

4. AkilaMani

Dear Mathangi,

Thank you for such a detailed reply and wishes. I am so happy to recieve my MILs blessings today :) Will come back and post the pics during navrathri :) thanks again!

3 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Akila now that is a wonderful blessing with lot of positivity. they say when it is to happen, it happens and i am sure SHE has decided to come home this year. so happy for you that she is so involved. why worry with such a sweetu at home. you are already blessed..now take out those pattu pavadai, pattu sarees, and all the works.

God bless.

1 person likes this.
  6. AkilaMani

Dear Naveenchennai,

Thanks :) since everything regarding keeping golu is quite new to me, I am planning to not have a kalasam and only have steps for now.

7. AkilaMani

H Shanvy,

You are right, I am blessed with such a wonderful MIL :) Although we have our moments, at the end of day, I am very thankful to god for blessing me with her.

With my MILs blessings and HER blessings, I am sure this navrathri is going to be extra special for the kids and us.

Thanks dear :)

2 people like this.
  8. orchidgb

orchidgb Silver IL'ite

good luck and wishes for your kolu.

1 person likes this.
  9. AkilaMani

10. mathangi10

mathangi10 New IL'ite

super happy for u.. :thumbsup and am so excited to see your MIL's involvement thats very sweet of her!!

Regards
    Mathangi

1 person likes this.