Somwar Vrat

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Saisakthi, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Monday Fast is solely dedicated to Lord Shiva. Bhagvan Shiv is also recognized with names Mahadev, Shankar, Umapati, Rudra, Bhole Nath, Bhole Bhandari, and so on.

People who is facing obstacles in married life or facing delays in marriage can observe Monday fast. Fasting on Mondays is also beneficial for accomplishing the wish of getting a desired partner.

Monday fast can be observed in three ways-simple Monday fast, Som Pradosh Vrat, and Solah somvar vrat (Monday fast for sixteen weeks). Most devotees also observe fast during four or five Mondays of Shravan month.

It is believed that worshiping Lord Shiva during Shravan month is very auspicious. And observing Monday fast and reciting Solah Somvar Vrat Katha during Shravan month can make Lord Shiva happy for the sure.

As Shravan month is deeply dear to Mahadev. It is believed that Mata Parvati deeply wanted to marry to Lord Shiva, and thus she did solah somvar vrat with immense devotion to get Mahadev.

Shravan Somwar Vrat as per North Indian Calendar starts today July 29th - Aug 19th, In some regions it starts from Aug12th - Sep 02nd, and in some regions only Mondays in Karthik Maas is auspicious.

It is believed that Monday fasting will be very fruitful if started from first Monday of Shukla Paksh of Shravan month (June-July). Four or five Monday fasting can be done in a stretch. One can continue this fast till 16 weeks of Monday starting from Shukla Paksh ( waxing period of moon) of Shravan month.

OM NAMASHIVAYA

OM SAIRAM

JAI MAHADEV

If you are looking for something more, refer earlier discussion in the following link:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/functions-festivals-rituals/37857-solah-somwaar-vrat-16-wks.html

1 person likes this.

2. Saisakthi

Katha (Story) of Monday fast (Somvar vrat) is given as under:-

Once upon a time, a rich moneylender used to live in a place. He had wealth and material comforts. But only one pain troubled his heart that he was without the children. He and his wife desperately wanted any child who can continue their progenies. But there was no child in his destiny. He was also a great devotee of Lord Shiva, and routinely used to visit Shiv temple on every Monday.

One day Goddess Parvati (wife of Lord Shiva) requested Lord Shiva about hearing prayers of that devotee. Observing profound devotion of that devotee, Lord Mahadev blessed and offered him a baby-boy. But that offering was with one condition that the child will survive till 12 years only.

After the birth of that child, everyone was truly happy except that moneylender because he knew that his boy had only 12 years of life. After 11 years, the moneylender thought to send his child to the home of maternal uncle in Kashi for completion of education.

Moneylender was aware about the death of his child. But he never broke his devotion towards Lord Shiva. He, in fact, advised his child and child's maternal uncle to offer yangya, pooja to Lord Shiva. Maternal uncle and that boy started their journey towards home. And in all shrines possible and offered yagya, pooja and gave donation to Brahmin.

In their journey they saw a marriage ceremony. And because the groom in the ceremony had defect in one eye, fortunately this boy became groom and got married to a girl of a rich businessman. But that boy had to go with maternal uncle for completion of education so he went to Kashi.

One day when maternal uncle was arranging a sacred ceremony for yagya, pooja and for giving donation to Brahmin, that boy felt ill. And because of his illness, his maternal uncle told him to take rest and slip at room. But as the boy had completed his 12 years of age, he had gave-up his life. When maternal uncle saw him dead he was in pain but thought of completing the sacred ceremony first.

Fortunately, Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiv ji were passing through their home and saw all relatives crying. As the boy, his parents, and maternal uncle had immensely shown great devotion towards Lord Shiva and did enormous pious work, Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati offered life to that boy, once again. And this way that boy returned back home with his bride. Finding him alive his parents were glad and thanked to Mahadev.

Likewise, if any person heartily does Monday fast or worship of Lord Shiva they get immense blessings of Mahadev. Lord Shiva certainly accomplishes all wishes of his devotees.

OM NAMASHIVAYA

OM SAIRAM

JAI MAHADEV

2 people like this.
  3. anjalisingh152

anjalisingh152 Silver IL'ite

Dear SaiShakti Sister,
    Can I start the vrat from this month ... feb 2014

4. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

Om Sai Ram,
    SaiShakti Sister,
    I want to start this. But what about pooja? How should i do? I am in the USA. We dont get fresh flowers here. Can you suggest something?
    Thank you

5. Saisakthi

Sister AnjaliSingh152,

SAIRAM, sorry didn't notice this, you can start any Monday, Karthik Masam (mid Nov) is special, May Lord Shiva and BABA bless you and fulfill your wishes too.

1 person likes this.
  6. anjalisingh152

anjalisingh152 Silver IL'ite

Om Sai RamOk sister. Can we start frm Shravan month?? Fast should be offered Nirajal (means with out drinking water the whole day)

7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My mother has been doing this since she was 15. I started when I was 17. Just wake up early and don't even have water before bath and lighting the lamp. I eat only once - meaning if I have sat down at the table to eat and start, then I won't get up - even for water, because that will mean 2nd meal. I stopped after my son was born due to some health issues. But re-started this January - must say that my married life is more peaceful as long as I am doing this fast.

Most important according to my mother is doing it with belief and faith, and not just because somebody may have told you to do it.

1 person likes this.
  8. kumuda4

kumuda4 New IL'ite

whether saibaba is powerful or not ? Actually to my sister we are searching bride groom. but not getting. if we do saibaba Astotara pooja whether may success? tell me

9. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I totally agree that it has to be done with belief and faith.

I have been doing it since I was 15. When I started I used to do pooja and have two meals a day. During my pregnancies and post deliveries I was advised not to skip meals, so I only did pooja. Now for the past few years I have restarted with one meal a day (after sunset).