Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by manjeeta_kaur, May 14, 2008.

1. manjeeta_kaur

manjeeta_kaur New IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

You must be aware about Karwa Chauth.

Karva Chauth is observed by married women (suhagini) for ensuring wedded bliss and wishing long life for their husbands and children. A married woman who observes this vrat is called ‘Saubhagyavati’ The fast of Karva Chauth is of particular importance to Hindu women as they believe it ensures the well-being, prosperity and longevity of their husbands.

The origin of this festival was based on a very noble idea. Though this idea has lost its true sense as today the whole outlook of this festival has changed.It is mostly celebrated in the northern part of India with great enthusiasm.

On this day woman apply mehendi (henna) on their hands and worships the moon. The festival of Karva Chauth has an extraordinary observance rate among married Hindu women in the northern part of India in places like Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat

Karva Chauth is observed on the fourth day of the dark fortnight of Ashwin, which is also called Kartik according to some calendars.The important rituals involving the festival include worshipping 'karvas' spherical clay pots with symbols for married women and sweets.People observe fasts all days long, then worship the 'karva' and the elderly woman of the family narrates the legend of Karva Chauth (the narration of Vrata Katha). Then they wait for the moon to rise and as soon as the moon is sighted, prayers are offered to the moon. The fasting women first observe the moon through a sieve and then break their fast. The first sip of water and the first bite of food are offered by the husband.

But I doubt nowadays do every married hindu women mostly from North India or mariied to North Indian families ,do they follow all the rituals and customs of Karwa Chaut.It is really hard to manage for working ladies living in and outside India .

Hope to hear from you as how do they celebrate the Karwa Chaut Vrat.

Thanks

Manjeeta

2. PandeyKranti

PandeyKranti New IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]My Dear Friend,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would like to add some points.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is the most important fast observed by the women of North India. My mother said” Karwa Chauth is a fast undertaken by married Hindu women who offer prayers seeking the welfare, prosperity, well-being, and longevity of their husbands”.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I believe, this is very tough fast to observe as it starts before sunrise and ends after worshiping the moon, which usually rises at about 8.45 p.m. No food or water is to be taken after 4 a.m. or after sunrise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I did not break it until the moon is sighted at night. My mother-in-law narrated the story of Karwa Chauth before the fast is terminated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We started the preparation for the pooja at about 4 or 5 p.m. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]My Mother-in-Law [/FONT][FONT=&quot]prepared a suitable place in the pooja room. We worshipped goddess Gaur Mata. The Gaur Mata used to be made with cowdung in the shape of a human figure, just about two inches tall. Nowadays, a picture or an idol of Parvati is worshipped.

This is how we together celeberated Karwa Chauth.
    [/FONT]

3. neya

neya New IL'ite

You know ,here in South India,we follow Sankasta Chaturti,which again falls on fourth day of the dark fortnight of Ashwin on every month and this is followed every month by anybody who is willing to fast for Lord Ganesha but I have seen one common thing for this and Karwa Chauth,the married Women follow the same things atleast similar though not completely the same but similar to seeing the moon and then only breaking the fast and Always around Karwa Chauth ie arnd October,both fall on the same day and here in South India,though anybody can follow but as per the book about Sankasta Chaturti,the intentions and the rituals are similar for Married Women :)

4. amrita.sinha

amrita.sinha Senior IL'ite

Hi Neya!

Great to hear about Sankasta Chaturti.
    Teej is also tough fast done by Indian Ladies Just like Karwachauth and Sankasta Chaturti.But unmaaried girls can also observe Teej Vrat for getting good Husbands.It is said that either of one(Teej or Karwachauth) should be performed by Indian women for Happy and Long Life of their Husbands.

Can anybody suggest me Is there any vrat done by Husbands for their wives?

5. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

You will be surprised to know that my husband also observe karwachauth vrat for me.WHat if it is not written in our Hindu dharm.He does it by hos will.
    I guess there is no Vrat writte in our Shastra performed by husband for their wives well-being.There would be some reason.May be because it is the responsibility of women to protect her family from all vipdayes.

6. RituMK

RituMK Junior IL'ite

Karwa Chauth is Coming . One can listen the Katha Available on Youtube as well just type "Karwa Chauth Vrat Katha" by Festivals n Culture . You will get the method and Katha Both