DH Thyroid report-Pls clarify me and ttc

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Aana, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

My DH blood test was done and the thyroid level was little bit abnormal and I am also trying to conceive for past 4 months and the report was

TSH ----------> 8.71 mIU/L
    T4(Thyroxine)--->8.6 mcg/dl
    T3, Total-------->98mg/dL

Doctor told us the TSH level is little bit abnormal but it should be in the range of 0.40-4.50mIU/L. but his T4 and T3 are normal.

I had some issues regarding this-Pls clarify me
    Is this an indication of Hypothyrodism?
    and will this affect me in getting pregnant or in other words will this affect male fertility?
    and whether he should take some medication?

Pls reply me and I am scared a lot.

Thanks in Advance!
    Aana

2. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Im not sure on the effect of male fertility but yes his TSH level does indicate hypothyroidism. He should be fine with a prescribed dosage of Levothyroxine which will possibly be prescribed by your doctor.
    Make sure to check his levels once he starts with his medication(possibly in 2 months) to see if he is responding to that dosage.
    Im also hypothyroid and my TSH is now normal with Levothyroxine.
    Dont worry, he will be ok soon :thumbsup

3. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

Hi Ramyav_cse,

Thanks a lot!

Our General Physician told us as his T4 level is normal no need to worry-Is this true? However we r going to go for second opinion.

If he takes Thyroxine table with doctors advise and if the thyroid level comes to normal does he able to stop the medicine or he needs to continue those medicines for life long-Pls clarify me?

We r vegetarians so what are all the fruits and vegetables he should avoid
    Pls let me know.

Thanks in Advance!
    Aana

4. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

My T3 and T4 were also normal and had elevated TSH. This is what my doctor told me - since T3 and T4 are normal, your thyroid gland doesnt seem to have a problem but since TSH is elevated, your pitutary gland is secreting less Thyroid Stimulating Harmone.
    Regarding how long to continue this, it needs to be continued until he gets back to normal. In my case some 6 yrs back also my reading was abnormal(juz TSH). But then I took the medicine for 3 months and then they tested after stopping the medicine and I did get back to normal. I had to go for a test once in 3 months for a year to confirm things were ok. But I think that was bcoz, then my reading was only slightly elevated. Now I have been taking for over a year and they only thing inferred is that Im responding well to the current dosage. I have taken the tests 4 times in the last 15 months.
    As for foods to avoid, there is nothing at all that needs to be avoided is what my doctor told me. Just make sure he takes the medicine first thing in the morning and have his usual food 30-60 mins later. What I do is keep the prescription next to my bed and pop a tablet as soon as I wake up. This has become a habit over time and he will also get used to it.

Dont worry as this is a stress related disease and will not affect us as long we take the medicine regularly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010