PCOS- Metformin and my pregnancy Journey

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by prettywomen123, Dec 29, 2009.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

This is to let you know about my pregnancy journey with PCOS and Metformin intake.I now have a beautiful baby boy who is 5 weeks old.So pls dont loose hope.PCOS is not harmful, the right medicinal intake will solve the issue. I took metformin for 6 months.

My diagnosis-

7 yrs back PCOS detected. Had hair growth on upper lip,chin and face. Weighed 52 kg which was normal for my height. Used to eat all sorts of spicy food. Did not follow any diet and used to eat all that I wanted. But weight growth was still steady. Did not put on much weight.Used to get periods once in 2 months. I was prescribed dianette for reducing hair growth and to get regular periods. Got regular periods then on for 2 yrs.Was fed up having medines for 2 yrs. Then was again meprate for another 2 yrs.That time I was in India so the gyneac there asked me to stop all medicines and see how it goes. The next 2 yrs I dint have any medicines. Then I got periods only once every 6 months then it stopped. Gyneac said since I was single then, it is not a cause of worry even if I dint get periods for sometime. I got married last yr and my Indian gyneac felt it was not possible to continue prescribing medication since I am in UK. So went to an endocronologist here. She prescribed some blood tests then put me on metformin.I never thought PCOS was a serious issue for me until after 3 months of taking metformin and going for a check up back, the gyneac told me it was impossible for me to conceive since my blood tests again didnot show any improvements. I emailed my indian gyneac and she said metformin alone will not help and I might have to go for some more treatments. I lost hope and wasnt serious about taking metformin though I took it regularly and missed it a couple of days. The only problem I had with metformin was diarhoe.Then again after 3 months I went back and she said she will again give me another dose of metformin for another 3 months. This was march 09. Then in April I went for my first wedding aniversary celebrations and was vomiting and felt giddy.I also felt as though the whole world is dark and suddenly felt no meaning in life. I used to simply cry for no reasons. I never got the slightest clue I was pregnant and never had the idea of doing a home pregnancy test. I went to the emergency one evening as I fainted coming back from work. The doctor there took my urine sample and told me the good news. I couldnt believe it and still had doubts. The next day I went for my scan and wen i heard baby heart beat and movement i was so happy by then I was 9 weeks . It is definitely god's miracle in my life. I didnot take metformin after I was confirmed pregnancy.

Problems I had during pregnancy:

Low BP but was slowly recovering during first trimester
    sore throat and cold - second trimester
    vaginal discharge and thrush - first and second trimester
    tummy itching and steroids- second and third trimester- I found out why I was itching after my LO was born. He has so much hair.
    muscle cramp mostly at night- second trimester
    More tension and stress- both at workplace and home
    Indigestion

What I did/didnt

Walking every day 30 mins until the end of pregnancy
    Did household work until 7 months. Lifted heavy shopping bags though some said I shouldnt
    Worked till end of 36 weeks.
    The last 4 weeks I dint do any work since parents were here to take care.Maybe thats why ended in a C section at the end or maybe because I took lots of tensions about delivery.
    Was a pessimist at every stage of pregnancy and always used to think since I have pcos will I be able to deliver.
    After pregnancy had questions on breast feeding since somewhere I read pcos can affect breast feeding but now I am breast feeding though intially had problems.
    Didnot know I was 9 weeks pregnant. Had all sorts of spicy food, prawns and all sorts of food which is said to be not taken during pregnancy like pineapple . But stopped taking them as soon as I knew I was pregnant.
    Had lots of fruits and less vegetables.
    Used to drink atleast 12 glasses of water which helped very much during pregnancy

During delivery had lots of problems since I wasnt dilated 100% . They tried normal delivery, vantouse forceps and at last had to go for c- section. Had to bear a lot of pain but in the end it was all worth it.

My write up is to give courage to all those who like me didnt know how important is to act as soon as pcos is detected and not to be careless like me. I am not sure if I will get my periods back but for my lifetime I will thank god for the precious baby boy my bundle of joy - 'a perfect gift from god-

Regards n gud luck to all those ttc

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot for sharing your journey with PCOS... Hope many suffering with PCOS will feel better after reading these...

Take care of yourself & your LO.

3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Thank u so much prettywomen..

ur post has indeed brought a lot of hope into me.. thanks again!

4. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Wow your story is truly inspiring. I am very moved.

5. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

thanks for sharing ur journey dear...
    feeling better after reading it ! It bring new hope for all those having PCOS and in TTC now..

thanks again.
    May god bless u n all ur love ones !

6. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Hi Pretty women,
    Happy to know about your journey.. its really inspiring and increasing our confident... Thanks for sharing...

7. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

This is highly inspiring prettywomen.Thanks for sharing:thumbsup.

Take Care!

8. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Hi PW,

Thanks for taking time and sharing your success story. Hope you & little Sanjay are doing good ! Take care.

9. juliana123

juliana123 New IL'ite

Hi Prettywomen,
    Thank you for sharing your experience,
    Hope is the only thing that helps us move forward.

10. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hi preetywomen
    thanks for sharing your journey. really we all r waiting for the same miracle to happen.