Short Menstrual cycle?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by peartree, Nov 22, 2009.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hello All

I was here sometime back with a question about Provera/Metformin. I had been having irregular periods. My doctor suggested blood tests and found out that my insulin levels are slightly high and prescribed Metformin. He also prescribed Provera and asked me to take both for my first cycle. I took it and had my period 4 days after completing the 10 day provera dosage. I have been continuing metformin and take 3 pills a day with food.

It's been only 2 weeks since my period and I am having another period now! Can anyone tell me what is happening? Am I getting the period because of ovulating on my own? If that is the case, why am I getting it in just 2 weeks? We are trying to have a baby and I am very scared. My doctor suggested to try metformin for 3 months and said that it is possible that we will get pregnant with just the metformin. He said if that did not work, we could try clomid! I am getting very agitated by all this and very concerned that I got my period so soon. Can anyone help me please?

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Can someone please help me with my query? :-(

3. anishka

anishka New IL'ite

Are you that its period and not ovulation bleeding?

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Pear,

If you are sure it is regular bleeding and not aggravated spotting, you must call your doctor. Sometimes the hormones could vary and the progesterone could have reduced as compared to the estrogen. When progesterone level decreases, there could be bleeding..

Though this may not necessarily be a ' period ' , you must check with your doctor as to why you have the bleeding. I have studied that, the estrogen and progestorone must balance well.

If it is that you had to change quite some sanitaries, around the second time, then you need to inform your doctor.. If it was mild enough and not heavy bleeding, then I suppose it is because you just started on Provera.

However, call your doctor. Take care.

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much Anishka and Preethi!

Anishka, what do you mean by ovulation bleeding? I did not know that people bled during ovulation.

Preethi, while bleeding is not really as heavy as it would be when I normally get a period, it certainly does not seem like just spotting. I am bleeding heavier than that. I guess you're right. I better get an appointment :-( Nothing against you, but I am so scared of going to the doctor :-(

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

:) hey, that is ok, Pear !! I wasnt born with a doctor's degree. I understand your feelings..

But, it is like this.. the more you fear, the late it gets to know what is the trouble. So, dont worry. It should be some common side effect to Provera.. Just go and check and be happy that everything is absolutely fine ! Dont panic.. dont stress.

Take care