When is the right time to perform a pregnancy test after the missed period?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by kavithol, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kavithol

kavithol New IL'ite

When to test for pregnancy

Hi ILites,

Here goes my story.. I had irregular periods initally.. but was normal when i got married. After 6 months of marriage my periods got irregular again. I went to my gyn, she told me tat i may have a pcos problem. But when i went back to india i got a scan and diagnonised that i did not have pcos problem. My gyn here gave me a clomid, i took 2 sets of it. But was not able to conceive and i got my periods on the dot. again i didnt get my periods for 3 months and again no period. Took provera and got a period. It was on dec 19th. I took another set of clomid. It had been almost 34 days, but still no period. I dont have any symptoms of me being pregnant.

So my question is how long should i wait before HPT. i m not so clear. Is it 2 weeks?

Cheers,
    Kavi

Thanks for your time,
    Kavi

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Re: When to test for pregnancy

Do you have any idea how long is your cycle? I mean ateast a range??
    I would say wait for atleast 4-5 days until after you missed your period to take a HPT.

Good luck and keep us posted

3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Since it is 35 days nows,You can wait for another 2-3 days and take a HPT or 40 days since your last period ,so that the test can be clear.

All the best.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. kavithol

kavithol New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. My cycle is 30/31 days(when its regular).

I dont have any symptom like those I searched in the web. I dont even have even pricking sensation. Is it still possible for me to be pregnant?

Anyways I will also do a hpt after 3 days.

Thanks for your help,
    Cheers,
    Kavi

5. indiatodenver

indiatodenver New IL'ite

Is it too early yet to test ??

Hi everyone...

I have been following this forum for quite a while and really appreciate all the women on this.... I am a new member in this and this is my first post over here.. hope you all can help me out on this....

We have been trying to conceive.. and April 27th was the first day of my period..going by which dates from 8th May until about 18th May hold good for conception.. I know that I have not yet crossed May 18th ... but i really wana know if I will make it this month... Can anyone tell me how early is too early to test?

Thanks for looking !!

6. ramya_psk

ramya_psk Senior IL'ite

Re: Is it too early yet to test ??

Hi,
    Warm welcome to IL.If you have regular cycle of 28 to 30 days wait for at least 5 to 10 days(around 1 st week of June) and take a HPT.It will give u accurate result.

Cheers
    Ramya

7. vshetty

vshetty New IL'ite

hiii.. welcome to IL. i think its better to wait for atleast one more week.. i know how it feels .. all the waiting and anticipation.. all the best to u...

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Indiatodenver,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum! You can read our forum guidelines here....
    All the best to your TTC! Baby dust to you...

As other friends suggested, 1 week after missing your periods is considered good for HPT. As HCG count will be more by that time.

You can even try HPT the day you miss your periods provided you have regular periods. But in few women you cannot confirm pregnancy this early.

Blood tests will tell you exact figure by 2 weeks past ovulation.

Hope these will help you

9. indiatodenver

indiatodenver New IL'ite

hi gals...

thanks for all your wishes.. advice and also baby dust!! :)

so..its a wait from now..!! God.. give me patience!! The thing is..I was working while in India.. and had a very busy life.. here am in H4 and idle most of the time.. so spending the next 15 days without thinking or worrying about this.. is going to be difficult!! :spin anyways.. keeping prayers on.. lets wait and watch!

Thanks again to you all... !!

10. Meenu Raju

Meenu Raju New IL'ite

Hi

I appreciate all the good work you ladies are doing.

Me too in the same boat as India to denver.

My last periods were on 26th april. So, a week from may 7th should be the fertile week. Now, yesterday 12th may, i experienced slight spotting (in wipes only) at night once and very, very light spotting (on wipes only) today.
    I also had slight pain on my left lower abdomen yesterday and today and back ache too.
    What does this mean? Could it be +ve? Will it be good idea to test?

Last edited: May 13, 2009