soy promotes infertility ???

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Bambli, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dears,

do u have any idea about this issue ??
    i'm a vegetarian (no eggs), i take soya as my protein source...

I'm also taking vitamins for women (tasly margaret) daily, it made from soya too.

pls help... kinda of worried now...

Avoid These Foods if You Are Trying to Conceive | Natural Fertility
    SOY
    In the great media campaign over the last few years, we have all been led to believe that soy is a miracle health food. Unfortunately while soy does have some nutritional benefits when eaten in its natural state or as a small amount of tofu, most processed soy products sold today are very dangerous on many levels, including extensive damage to your reproductive system.
    Thousands of studies have linked soy to infertility, decreased sex drive, and extensive damage to both male and female reproductive systems. Like the estrogen mimics in meat, the phytoestrogens in soy are to blame for this damage.
    In addition to disrupting both the male and female reproductive system, soy has been implicated in a great deal of endocrine related problems for young boys and girls exposed to soy while in utero or as infants.
    Due to the dangers to your child, you should never eat soy while pregnant or breastfeeding anyway so unless you munch a few edamame occasionally, soy should be the first food item to go for a couple trying to conceive.

PCOS Network - Soy and PCOS: Safe or Harmful?
    Soy and infertility
    It is currently unknown whether soy has a positive or adverse effect on the fertility in women with PCOS. As mentioned, hardly any studies exist involving soy with PCOS and none so far have really examined its affect on ovulation. One study found that 6 g/day of black soybean powder taken for 6 months improved ovulation in women who weren’t ovulating (5). On the other hand, there are many studies available that show that mice treated with genistein had reduced fertility (6). Some studies even suggest early exposure to soy and/or isoflavones like those found in soy-based infant formulas may have long-term effects on reproduction (4). A study in The Journal of the American Medical Association, however, found no difference in a wide range of reproductive problems between those who were fed soy formula and those fed cow milk formula as infants (8).
    A review of 7 soy intervention studies done on women using 32-200 mg/day of isoflavones showed increased menstrual cycle length (9). Currently the evidence doesn’t imply that soy prevents ovulation but may delay it. While much more research is needed, those of you who are trying to become pregnant or struggle with infertility may want to limit your intake of soy.
    Bottom line: much more studies need to be conducted on soy consumption as it applies to humans, and with PCOS in particular. Women with PCOS who struggle with infertility, consume few calories or eat a poor diet may want to avoid or limit soy products. Otherwise, a moderate-low intake of soy (once a day or several times a week) can be part of a healthy diet for women with PCOS.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Bambli,

Soy protein is to be very minimal during your reproductive period..that is before menopause, as it mimics our enzymes. my gynaec gives me soy based vitamins now as i have surgical menopause...removal of ovaries...

Excess of these proteins do lead to other problems..even damage to the kidney. do search here..i think soya has been discussed, and some have given their personal experiences...

3. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

The jury is out on soy. I was drinking soymilk regularly until I found out I was pg. I switched to regular milk. Then, had a miscarriage a week or 2 later (don't know which). Now, I don't know if there is any connection and I don't think there was, but even if it is good, you can have too much of a good thing, you know!

Try various beans and legumes, and even whole grains for your protein. You shouldn't rely on only one kind of protein source. You should mix them up anyway. So, limit soy. Eat different dals on different days; eat rajmah, chole, black-eyed peas, kale channe; brown rice, quinoa - there is a whole world of protein sources out there. Explore it.

4. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

Thanks pa. I will check with my gyne and dietition this week...

5. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dear,

I'm sorry about ur miscarriage.
    I think i should divert to legumes and bean now....
    thanks for the advice...

May god bless u always !

6. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

soy is not good for ladies. thats what i know. i have heard that it causes breast cancer too.. better try other sorce of protein/ beetter be safe than sorry.

7. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Oh, I don't think there was any connection between the soymilk and m/c. Isoflavones from soy have protective effects. But men eating soy regularly were found to be infertile somewhere in China. After withdrawal of soy, however, they regained fertility. Phytoestrogen from soy can possibly cause breast cancer if consumed in excess, they say.

Vitamins are good for you. But that doesn't mean they won't do serious damage if consumed by the kilo!

So, mix 'em up!!

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Ladies,
    I too have heard excess of Soy conception leads to problem in ladies... Somewhere i read, but can't remember where it is!

"Too much of anything is not good to human body!!!!"

9. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

hi all,
    this doubt on soyabean is always there in my mind also...:spin

it is such a rich source of protein and cures anemia and mimic phytoestrogen - all these are good for women... i know that is bad for men to consume soy everyday !!

but am just not able to understand that such a good vegetarian protien source could cause breast cancer and be a danger during pregnancy...

one thought is i want to drink soy milk everyday, but reading some articles like above confuses me...

really hope there is some final verdict on soy - whether it can be consumed during ttc and pregnancy !!

10. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

dear,
    i'm also in the same dilemma... in fact i taking daily vitamins from soya.
    It's said soya is good for women's health and so on... and i'm very much worried after reading all this article.

i checked with my siddha doctor, he mentioned that if soya will caused infertilty, how come china and japan woman can get pregnant since their main source come from soya.

i also got some infor from this website.
    Your Fertility Friend - Soy

confuse... i'm planning to check with my gyne later...