What food to avoid when trying to conceive?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by neeruvydehi, Feb 9, 2009.

1. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

That's a beutiful thread you've started ani:thumbsup

2. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot limkabook...

3. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

During the very brief time that I was pregnant, I asked a friend of a friend what foods to eat/avoid during pregnancy. I'd imagine that pregnancy foods and ttc foods should be similar. This statement is possibly backed up by a book on how to boost fertility that I have - eat as if you are pregnant (and my own addition after my last month's harrowing tww, exercise like you aren't even ttc; as in, I decided not to be extra careful during tww; that drove me crazy). I'll paste her response here.

There are no restrictions on fruits and vegetables that I am aware of. There is one precaution with fruits and veggies – that they should be washed well. Vegetables can harbor toxoplasmosis. Other precautions include limiting fish (BPA and mercury) and raw eggs (salmonella). The fat soluble vitamins (ADEK) can be a concern if someone is taking exceedingly high amounts. Maybe that’s where the pumpkin thing came from because it’s high in Vit A? But you’d have to really eat a ton of it. Avoid unpasturized dairy products (I don’t know if she is vegan) which may contain listeria.

(NB: My OBGYN said that you'd really have to eat a ton of carrots to get enough vit A for it to be a teratogen! Must be the same as with pumpkin).

I came across this video that she might enjoy looking at: Indiwo.in.com > For the Indian woman > Diet During Pregnancy
    This Indian physician states that there are not restrictions on F&V but that green papaya should be avoided. She preaches moderation, which is appropriate. She addresses a few cultural things.

Good luck to all! We'll all be better mothers for all this struggle.

1 person likes this.
  4. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot confused....

5. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hai confused
    thank you for sharing its really a good video try to post this even in "i am pregnant" forum it will be useful for all pregnant ladies

6. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

7. saths

saths Senior IL'ite

Re: I found it useful

5 Unfriendly Foods for Fertility

Date posted: January 11, 2010
    Trying to conceive is, in a lot of ways, all about the little things. From timing the baby dance to counting days in between your periods, getting pregnant can be full of details. Taking the right vitamin or herbal supplements and eating fertility friendly foods are just some of the components to successfully becoming pregnant.
    On the other side of things, though, there are foods to avoid. These foods aren’t necessarily harmful or unhealthy, the just can delay you from getting pregnant or even keep you from getting pregnant altogether.
    Here are five of the most unfriendly foods for fertility:
    1. Peas. There is a natural chemical in peas known as m-xylohydroquinone that may keep you from getting pregnant. Research on peas goes back as far as the 1950s. There is even research ongoing about how peas could be used as a natural contraceptive.
    2. Soy. Soybeans contain the plant version of estrogen, known as phytoestrogens. In fact, the extra estrogen provided by soy products can be enough to create a hormone imbalance. This can affect the production of eggs, as well as ovulation. Watch out for soy in unexpected places, such as flour, oils and milk.
    3. Processed meats. Most processed meats, such as hot dogs and lunch meats, contain nitrates. These nitrates act as a preservative, and can interfere with fertility. Nitrates have a controversial history, and have been thought to cause a variety of health problems. While many nitrate-related problems have been dispelled as myths and most processed meats now contain much smaller amounts of nitrates than in the past, there is still enough to interfere with fertility.
    4. Calcium-depleting foods. Good examples of these kinds of food include spinach and peanut butter. These foods sap your body of calcium. Your body needs that calcium to help your baby develop.
    5. High-sugar foods. Pop, candy or even high-sugar fruit drinks all can contribute to low levels of blood sugar. This can severely interfere with your reproductive hormones. Chocolate and pop both typically contain the added element of containing caffeine, which reduces the risk of conception, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  8. creative9

creative9 New IL'ite

LITTLE HELP vs BIG HELP

Please name the foods as more as possible that should be totally or little avoided when u think u r pregnant.

It would be kind of help for those women who live alone in foreign countries.

I have gathered some info about it.

**** Avoid seafood high in mercury.

****Avoid undercooked meat, poultry and eggs.

****Avoid unpasteurized foods such as skim milk, mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese — can be a healthy part of your diet. But anything containing unpasteurized milk is a no-no.

****Avoid large quantities of liver.

****Avoid excess caffeine, alcohal and herbal tea.

****Sometimes doctors suggest not to eat flax seeds.

****Old women suggest not to eat papaya during pregnancy.

Please Share your knowledge on this topic.

Try to include what we should eat when trying to concieve and when you actually concieved.

Every woman here should name only one food and it would make a big help.

*****DURING PREGNANCY, NAME ONE FOOD

YOU SHOULD EAT -

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT -

*****WHEN TRYING TO CONCIEVE, NAME ONE FOOD

YOU SHOULD EAT -

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT -

9. creative9

creative9 New IL'ite

Re: LITTLE HELP vs BIG HELP

*****DURING PREGNANCY, NAME ONE FOOD

YOU SHOULD EAT - Dates and Figs
    YOU SHOULD NOT EAT - Papaya ( old wives)

*****WHEN TRYING TO CONCIEVE, NAME ONE FOOD

YOU SHOULD EAT -
    Dates rich in iron

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT - Fish bcoz it contains lot of vitamin A

10. bharu15

bharu15 New IL'ite

Hello ALL,

iam planning for pregancy and few things which my doctor advise Food not to eat: like food outside the fridge for long period(cold curries), very carefull with milk and cheese which wekeep outside after boil.

My mother advise me not eat brinjal(Egg plant), Kakaragai(Bittergaurd), Mullakai(Drumsticks), sesame, pineapple, papaya.

Food to eat:
    Fresh fruits like apples, pear, orange.

god bless u all to be pregnant soon