What food to avoid when trying to conceive?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by neeruvydehi, Feb 9, 2009.

1. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

HI
    I WOULD ,LIKE TO DISCUSS HERE WHAT SORT OF FOOD WE MUST AVOID WHILE TRYING TO CONCEIVE. DIFFERENT DR'S ADVICE DIFFERENT FOOD. MY DR. ADVICED ME NOT TO HAVE DATES,BANANA,PINEAPPLE,PAPPAYA,CRAB,PRAWN,BEEF,MUTTON ETC.
    AND FOR PCOD PATIENTS THEY RECOMMEND AVOID MANGO BANANA WATERMELON ETC. HER I TRY TO ADD SOME MORE DETAILS I COLLECTED FROM THE NET. ONE OF MY FRIEND GOT CONCEIVED AFTER SHE STOP HER COFFE AND TEA INTAKE. LIKE THAT IF YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE AND IF YOUR GYNEC ADVICED YOU ABOUT YOUR FOOD INTAKE. KINDLY SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH US.

Junk food, such as hamburgers, chips, biscuits, pies, cakes, tarts and others that contains a lot of sugar and refined flour or trans-fats has low nutritional quality and may interfere with your normal weight. It is known that overweight women often struggle with infertility.

The high intake of seafood, containing increased levels of mercury is associated with reduced fertility. You may need to limit the consumption of seafood, such as albacore tuna, shark, swordfish with the high levels of mercury that is harmful for fertility and developing child.

Reduce caffeine consumption as it can lower your chances to conceive. Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate, energy drinks and some herbal products. It is known that women who drank more than 300 mg of coffee a day had 27 percent lower chances to conceive. Another study showed that men who drink excessive amounts of coffee had lower sperm count and decreased sperm motility.

Avoid alcohol as it considerably reduces your chances to conceive. Alcohol may not only affect male and female fertility but also increase the risk of fetal abnormalities.
    REGARDS
    ANI

2. want2conceive

want2conceive Senior IL'ite

Hi PS,

Thanks for this useful info. My only problem is controlling tea. can i have tea once in 2 days and coffee once a week? Will that also have an impact?

And is it not good to have dates and banana? I have both. My mother tells that eating dates in general is good for health. If its not good to take while TTC for all women plz advice.

3. platinumsweet

I prefer to avoid tea and coffe completely. Even it was difficult for me in the begining . Now i am adjusted to it.
    Better avoid it. We dont know exactly whats the cause of our infertility.
    Then about dates and banana even i have heard a lot about the health benifits of dates . Since dates will increase body heat may be that is the cause. I dont know exactly. And baban earlier another dr adviced me not to eat banana since i ahve pcod and banana contains more sugar compared to other fruits.
    Hope this will clear your doubts.
    Regards
    ani

4. want2conceive

want2conceive Senior IL'ite

Thanks Ani. i will try to avoid tea and coffee as much as i can. Atleast restrict to only once a week to be honest :bonk

5. platinumsweet

haha.. do your best. i replaced tea with milk. rarely i get a sip from my dh's cup. thats it. hehe.
    hope things will work out for us soon. baby dust .
    ani

6. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

Thanks ani,
    for sharing a useful matter, even my gyne advised me to avoid tea coffee banana pineapple . i stopped taking tea and coffee for past 3 weeks(i dont know how) but once in a week as you told i too have a sip of coffee from my dh,s cup.
    hai w2c,
    i know its difficult to do all these but if we get a baby in result of this,we can do much more than this.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. platinumsweet

hi aishu.
    how are you?yes youe are absolutely right. but the things is we dont know for how long we have to suffer this haha.. may be we will get used to all this.
    good luck and my prayers to all ttc.
    may the almighty bless all of us very soon
    regards
    ani

8. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    all the best to you all....for me DR advised me to reduce the intake of rice(carbohydrates will affect more)increase veg,fruits,water...but advised me to take more dates for iron....banana,chikoo should be avoid. weight reduction is more important..:thumbsup

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  9. platinumsweet

Different dr's ahve different view. God only knows which is right and which is wrong.

1 person likes this.
  10. platinumsweet

Read in conceive clinic that strong perfumes may harm the womb. Girls take care of that please...