Diet & exercise diary for PCOD

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Sankna, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I was thinking about following a structured diet & exercise pattern to shed some weight and to be successful in my TTC journey . It would be easier if we remain focussed and that would be possible if we have a company. So thought I could start this thread and keep updating on the activities done towards weight reduction . All of you are invited to share your thoughts and your experience & plans so that it would be motivating & helpful for others as well.

To begin with I have starting having oats in the morning and red rice for lunch. Chappatis for lunch on alternative days .Dinner - dosa or idli or upma. I try taking some fruits at say 11 o clock and some marie biscuits in the evening about 4.

What about yours ..

Regards,

2. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sanka,
    Even i would like to join this thread as even i am planning to lose 20 lbs. Nowadays i am trying to put lots of veggies and just put half a cup of rice to the veggies and having that as lunch and in dinner I am doing the same i.e. putting cooking lots of veggies and then put half cup cracked wheat and cook.
    Morning I am having Coffee and for snacks i either have some special k crackers or cheerios with skim milk or most of the time a packet of m&ms(which i am trying to avoid totally).
    And i fast once a week i.e. on Thursday and have coffee, milk and fruits. In the evening of Thursday i have tiffins like rava idly or upma, etc
    I am also having fish oil took as i heard it helps in fertility.
    -Priya

3. sunshinecheer

sunshinecheer New IL'ite

Hello Sankna,

Good to see this thread as I also have recently started new diet changes inorder to lose weight reduce my pcos symptoms. Here is what I have been doing :

Very similar to what Priya is following for lunch.
    I drink 1 cup skim milk with a rusk and a boiled egg in the morning.
    For lunch I have a bowl of mixed veggies with around 1/2 cup rice( the proportion of veggies to rice is around 3:1).
    In between meals for snacks I have fruits, and to drink I have milk or buttermilk and ofcourse lot of water.
    For dinner I again have lot of vegetable curry,some dal with 1 chapati or little rice( or limited amount of any other carb).
    Now I am thinking to include handful of sprouted moong in my snack options for protein.
    I am very happy to finally lose 2 pounds in 10 days and I hope to continue to lose weight slow and steady.
    Coming to exercise, I walk for an hour daily.

All the best to all of you girls who are on this journey:thumbsup
    SS

4. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

hi girlz
    am alos in the same boat.
    but i dont think your eating pattern is proper. dont feel offended. according to my dr. no rice at all. below i am posting my eating habbit. it was difficult for me initially and now i am completely ok with it.
    and managed to loose 2 kg in 10 days.my dr. told no bread (bread ,chapati,nan.etc) and no root veggies..

1 ltr water early morning (exercise for 30-45 mins. (whichs burns 300-350CAL))

7 am MILK (lowfat)
    10 am 1 apple/1cucumber/oats 2tbs in skimmed milk

1pm 1 chapathi/1 dosa(which is made of very less rice made of 9pulses)
    with veg or non veg curry which is having very less oil (1tsp)
    + a bowl of salad.

7pm soup/fruits or chapathi or dosa or grilled chicken whatever qty is very minimal.
    i am taking care of sugar in milk i use only 1/2teaspoon sugar.
    once in a week a cup of rice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

I agree with Ani. I also have PCOS. My doctor also said NO RICE & NO WHITE BREADS. She just allowed me to take 1 capati or 2 slice of whole meal breads for lunch with a lots of vegetable (possible green ones).

No patatoes, carrots, and corn too..
    can take all kind of fruits except mangoes & durians.

must do brisk walking for at least for 30 - 45 minutes daily...
    i'm been following it for 3 months and reduce 15kgs so far...
    getting my menses every month without medications now.

recently went for checkup... my hormones seems to be normal...
    no cyst and no problem in ovum.

Pls remember that we (those have PCOS/PCOD) have to eat low GI foods... Rice and breads are high in GI. you can google for low GI food lists.

u can check WEIGHT LOSS BUDDY thread for sample diet plans.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/39332-weight-loss-buddy.html

Good luck everyone.. i still have 22 kgs to reduce to reach my ideal weight.

6. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

hai frienz
    even i am having pcos i am asked to reduce 13 kgs
    at present i am following this life style can u pls tell am i going in right way or i have to change anything
    1. after brushing i tak 1tsp methi wit warm water
    2.doing treadmill for 25-30 mins
    3.drinking 3/4 or 1 lt of water after exercise
    4.after bathing i take honey in warm water (after 1 hr taking methi)
    5.after 1 hr taking oats 2 tsp with 1/2 cupfresh cow milk (with out aadai) with 1 apple or orange.
    6.taking methi 10 mins before lunch.
    7.1 pm 2 chappathi or 2 moong dhal dosa or other dhal dosa with 1 cup vegetable curry and 1 cup salad and 2 tsp curd
    8.4 pm 1/2 cup fresh milk (without aadai)
    9. doing treadmill for 15-20 mins.
    10.taking methi 10 mins before dinner 8 pm 2 chappathi or 2 moong dhal dosa or other dhal dosa with 1 cup vegetable curry and 1 apple or 1 orange
    11.10 pm 1 /2 cup fresh milk (without aadai)

i started this only last wednesday i am trying to to reduce 2 chappathies or dosas to 1 in the following week i dont know how its going to work out lets see wat happens
    if i have to change anything pls let me know
    thanks to all

7. sunshinecheer

sunshinecheer New IL'ite

Yes i agree, we need to avoid rice.
    But i am just trying not to do any drastic changes to my diet by avoiding it 100%.
    I have gradually reduced my rice intake to a minimal now.
    Its just that i am trying to get my body accustomed to this change slowly.
    And I can tell you for sure, cutting down rice from my diet is really helping me to lose weight.:)

8. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I am trying to avoid rice completely after reading ur post. I am trying to make my veggies with cracked wheat instead. And in the nite i am having my veggies with plain cooked oatmeal. I am also trying to add more protein in my diet like one boiled egg a day and also having boiled kal channa or chickpeas, etc.
    I am also taking fish oil tablets daily in the morning as i heard it aids in fertility. I need some self control trying to avoid sweets completely :(
    -Priya

9. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Hi
    bambli if u were able to reduce 15 kg in 3 months its great. I need to loose around 7 kg according to my dr. Lost already 2 in 1odays. My target is 10kg.

Priya for ur carving for sweets eat some fruits other than mango,watermelon and plantain. (all this contain more sugar)

others kindly reduce ur wheat and rice intake. Rice you can eat once in a week..
    Regards
    ani

10. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,

I was just reading through and felt that rice is a major component to be controlled. I just had a lipid profile done yesterday and my triglyceride level is just 46 ! It was much less than the normal range of 60-165. I know that for people who have very high trygliceride they are asked to cut the starch intake mostly from rice - to cook rice in excess water and drain the starch instead of making it in cooker. I normally have stained rice only once a day ( apart from the content in Idli/dosa). DH has told me that enough of ur dieting stuff better eat well.

I browsed thru the net and found that low triglyceride may be due to overactive thyroid - my recent TSH showed 4.6 just a little above normal range.Uff!! one corelates to another.. a big interconnecting circle..

Need to meet the gyn tomorrow and understand what I need to do in this case. Any of you ladies with the same problem..

Regds,