Prenatal Vitamins

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by prabhasunil, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Prenatal Vitamins and headaches

Hi PPL,

Can u tell me What are the prenatal vitamins need to be taken for the ppl who are TTC?
    What purpose it does? Is it necessary to take them?

Thanks in advance...:bowdown

:)
    Vasuamthy

2. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

I started taking the prenatal vitamins as my Gynac told me to take it two months before conceiving.
    In the very early stages means during foetal development folic acid plays an important role.

3. dawnner

dawnner New IL'ite

If anyone tells you that prenatal vitamins won't give you a headache, that person is wrong. High doses of vitamin A can lead to serious side effects, including headache, double vision, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and liver damage.

The problem is that doctors will attribute many of these to pregnancy. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should know. Drinking more water will help to flush the extra vitamins out of your body, and that will help with the headaches. But then what is the point of taking the super-charged prenatal if you're just going to drink water and flush the extras out?

My suggestion: Take a regular vitamin, or you can even take two of the Fllinstone chewables instead of the prenatal.

I'm also ttc and get headaches 30 minutes after taking a prenatal vitamin, and today after doing some research on the matter, I'm not taking the prenatal vitamins anymore.

As long as you get the your folic acid and iron, you'll be fine, and you can even get folic acid from orange juice, spinach. It's even reccomended by the FDA to be in our bread now. So, most breads we buy also have it.

4. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

prenatal vitamins / calcium

hi ladies,

i heard that drinking green tea defeats the purpose of taking a prenatal vitamin (follic) is it true?

Also my gyn recommended I take a calcium supplement which contains vitamin D ( helps with mood swings- helpful and good for those who get blues or sad in the winter)

She suggested 600mg of Calcium and 400 IU of Vitamin D. Take 2 tablets daily with a meal. With this I am also on a prenatal vitamin which the doc says does not have sufficient calcium if you don't ingest calcium regularly in your diet.
    The prenatal vitamins also have vitamin D but I've noticed taking more has helped me...I tend to get the winter blues and would take vitamin D.

regards,
    lalitha

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. Anudina

Anudina New IL'ite

Help me regarding the Prenatal Capsules...

Hi Friends,

I have a two year old boy and have planned for the next one now. I delivered in India and doesnt know about the prenatal capsules in US. I was advised by my firend to take Prenatal capsules, when there was a huge hairfall while i was lactating my first kid. I bought and did not have it regularly. So 3/4th of the box is remaining. Now my query is whether prenatal cap have expiry date(i searched in the box but was not there)?Which is a gud prenatal capsules? Whether purchase of these cap is included in INsurance? Also give me suggestions what else i have to do now for a better pregnancy?

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Re: Help me regarding the Prenatal Capsules...

Usually any medicine bought over-the-counter has expiry dates...If it's been a while since you bought that then I would discard it and buy new...Since you are planning for your second baby, I would suggest buying any over-the-counter prenatals which have folic acid is good...I believe "Nature Made" prenatal caps are good.. They are available in Walmart/Target...Once you conceive then you can ask your doc to write a prescription..
    Regarding Insurance coverage - If you buy over-the-counter (OTC)medicine then they are not covered by insurance and moreover OTC medicines are not expensive..
    If you get a prescription from your doc, then they will be covered by insurance...
    Just eat healthy food, exercise and stay happy for a heatlhy pregnancy..

Good luck!

7. mssweety

mssweety New IL'ite

Hi,

I don't think you should use the old tablets that you have. You should buy new ones from any store. You can also go to your doctor and she can give you a prescription and then your insurance will cover for it.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Sweety

8. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Hi, I would suggest you to get to rid of the old medicines.

Tk care and have a successful n Safe preggo !

9. SuganyaJawahar

SuganyaJawahar Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am TTC for the past 3 months.. Hoping for the best to happen in near future, I need some help in knowing about the prenatal vitamin I am taking right now. I take the NewChapter's Organic Prenatal Vitamins. AS per the pack, I have to take 3 tablets per day. Like 1 tablet for a meal. I wanna know if someone is taking this pill and wanna know the feedback.
    My doubt is that, I've been taking it for 3 months but wat I do is I take only 2 or sometimes 1 tablet a day. So I am so scared if this is the cause of not being successfull in my attempt :bowdown . Moreover, I wanna know if this tablet is good at all to take. Right now, I am stopping to take this tablet.
    If anyone is taking or had taken any prenatal vitamin which is really good, pls do share the info. Since its already 3 months gone, I am just so scared. My mind do understand the fact that this cant happen the first time we try. But then, its now 3 mnths gone and it makes me so tensed up. I do get so many info from this forum and I just want lil bit more help on this prenatal vitamins.. Pls help. Thanks.

10. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

Pre-natal vitamins are just a supplement to your diet. It does not make you more fertile or less fertile. So your doubt of not getting pregnant because of pre-natal vitamins --- not so!!

I am not sure of the brand that you are taking, but I was taking 'one a day prenatals' till before my ob/gyn visit. It has 2 pills - one the pill with all the vitamins and the other one is a gel (DHA and omegas) The doc said it is a good brand but still gave me a prescription pre-natal to have from then on. You can go for a pre-conceiving visit to a ob/gyn. This is not mandatory but it did give me some peace of mind to know that we are 'doing everything right'. :)

Good luck for your TTC phase dear!!