Doubts on Home pregnancy tests

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by neeruvydehi, Apr 9, 2009.

1. neeruvydehi

neeruvydehi New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,

I want to clarify my doubts with u....My friend having regular periods every month.i mean she will get her period on her 30th day exactly ...now their are trying for kids...
    Last Month her due date is on march 7th (30th day) didnot got her period.
    she did Home pregnancy Test on 32nd day it came Negative.:-(
    She did another Home pregnancy Test on 40th day again it came Positive. :).....But my doubts are
    1) if she is Pregnant why she got Negative result on 32nd Day?:confused2:
    2)Is this type of case are quiet normal in women's ?
    3) Is there any thing to worry about this cases?

bec why i am asking is MY co-sister she did her home Pregnancy Test on 32nd day It came Positive....But why my friend got negative result initially and again Postive ? IS any thing wrong in my friend?

Please clarify my Doubts...
    Thanks in advance

Neeru

2. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Ti is quiet normal in every women. As there hormone level will be low and it doesn't show up in your HPT ie.,the level will be low and every 72 hrs it will be higher. So nothing to worry dear.. Normal delivery or c-section doesnt matter on this.

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Neeru,
    If the HCG level in the urine is low in the urine, preg strips will not be able to detect its presence.

In some women in the earlier days, HCG level will be low. They will increase every hour. So if you do pregnancy test in women after few days of missing period, detection will be better. Likewise early morning urine is used to test since it will be collection of 5-6 hours of urine & more HCG can be found.

4. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

HCG levels might have been low during the 32nd day,on the 40th day,it would have definitely increased.That's why it didn't show up on the HPT.Nothing to worry about,It happens in some cases.

Congratulations to your friend.

Your coSister may be having a different cycle length or her hormones levels were more when she did the test.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Neeruvydehi,
    Congratulations to your co-sis and friend for their respective pregnancies.
    This might happen because of two reasons:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One, many women do not have a 28 day cycle and two, this does not account for variations in ovulation dates and more importantly the date of implantation.
    [/FONT]Most tests are quite accurate, and claim that they can be used even before you miss your period. The truth is, they may not work until the day your period is due, or even after. The tests are designed to detect the presence of hCG, a hormone the placenta releases after conception. But everyone’s levels vary, and this test might not be sensitive enough to detect the amount of hCG in their system. Or, they may have ovulated a few or more days later than what they thought.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another factor to consider is when implantation occurs. You will not get a positive pregnancy test until after implantation occurs. Although hcg is produced almost from conception, it is not until the egg implants that the hcg can be released into the woman's blood stream in sufficient quantities to result in a positive pregnancy test. The time implantation occurs varies. Implantation can occur anywhere from 6-12 days past ovulation. [/FONT]

There are some other causes aswell:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other causes for a negative test include diluted urine, expired test, improper testing, and ectopic pregnancy. If you have received a negative test result a day or two after your period is due, it may be as simple as testing too early. Retest again in a week, and if still negative consult your doctor.[/FONT]

6. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I read , HPT test also be done in some days before Periods also. Is it right??? Normally when v will get accurate result reg. confirm pregnancy?? If v do 2-3 days before periods or after 10th day of ovulation is it accurate??? Or its vary to person to person???

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Few people say, after a week of implantation, your early HPTs can track pregnancy.

But most docs will take your pregnancy only after 6th week! Though you detect it early, you can't do much to it! Wait till you miss your periods, so that you will complete 5+ weeks by then! Sooner you can meet a gynec to confirm your pregnancy & proceed to next level! Just my personal opinion!

8. healthonmove

healthonmove Gold IL'ite

Medical Device Alert: If you think you are expecting, the most readily available solution to clear your doubts is a reliable home pregnancy test undertaken in the privacy of your home. Choose the right pregnancy test kit for reliable HCG results.

If the (HPTs) Home Pregnancy Tests is negative the first time you perform it, wait for 72 hours and repeat the test. The first negative result might be because the test was taken too early and the hormone levels had not risen enough to be detected, or it could be because of faulty technique. Repeat the test.

Pregnancy tests are usually stored in the refrigerator. So, make sure you bring the test kit to room temperature before you use it.

If the pregnancy test is negative? Doctors recommend that you wait until you have missed a period to take a home pregnancy test. (HPT)

9. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Dear Il'ites, for all those of you who are actively trying to get pregnant and have missed your periods, do read this: A Beginners Guide to the Pregnancy Test Kit. It will answer all your questions regarding testing for pregnancy in the privacy of your home.