pregnancy test kit is useful for only one time?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by neeruvydehi, Mar 4, 2009.

1. neeruvydehi

neeruvydehi New IL'ite

can we trust home pregnancy test kit?

Hello everybody,
    i am having a doubt about pregnancy test kit ...i brought pregnancy home test kit 4 days back....i did my test after 5 min it showed one line (pink) it is negative after that i washed it and kept ...
    Today when i want to test again i took my kit but that line is still visible....before test
    because when i did my test first time no line is there .....when i want to do my test second time that negative line is still there

My doubt is i came to know about pregnancy test whenever we do test newly it shows either negative or positive ...but in my pregnancy test after my first test the result(the line is visible)

i hope u girls understand...

i want to know more about how home kits works ?what is the procedure ?

thanks in advance
    Neeraja

2. nivedhita

nivedhita Senior IL'ite

Re: can we trust home pregnancy test kit?

Hi Niraja

FIrst of all the preg kit can be used only once. So once you use it, it must be discarded. Read the instructions given at the back.. even that will guide you.

Secondly, I asked my doc abt the accuracy. My doc says the kit is realiable and accurate. So if it is a negative it is surely a negative unless ur body feels different .. In that case it is always good to check with the doc.

First sample of urine in the morning after u wake up shd be taken for the kit. After using it discard it. Hope this is clear.

reg
    niv

3. neeruvydehi

neeruvydehi New IL'ite

thanks for the reply.....so pregnancy home kit is useful only for one time ?is it ?so it is not useful for second time?

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

home pregnancy test kits are 99% accurate. infact after having a positive result in the strip, when i went to the OB she said that the hcg strip is enough, and no blood tests are further necessary.

as nivedita said, it can be used only once and the result must be read within 5 minutes only.After which the results are invalid.

and ofcourse if the line appeared first time, and u are using the same strip the line will be visible!
    everytime you want to test use a fresh strip and not an already used one

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

no one strip can be only used once, then discard it. next time you got to use a fresh strip.

6. neeruvydehi

neeruvydehi New IL'ite

thanks a lot

Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot for the replies ... i thought pregnancy test kit is user for multiple times but today i came to know that pregnancy test kit is used for only once...thanks a lot ..because of this site today i learned one new lesson... thank u

bye
    take care

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I agree HPT(Home pregnancy test) can be used only once.Usually first morning urine sample is preferrable,but you can test it at any time of day.

The results(+ve or -ve) that show up in 5 mins are the valid results and usually +ve results last for more than 24 hrs.

Depends on which kit you bought.Some tests can be used before a missed period,some show +ve results after a missed period say on the 30th/31st day.

Hope this helps

8. mssweety

mssweety New IL'ite

You can trust the HPT. If you are still want to confirm then make a appointment with your doctor and they will confirm for you. You can only use the HPT once.

All the best.

Take care

Regards,

Sweety

9. mssweety

mssweety New IL'ite

Re: thanks a lot

You are welcome! But did you find out if you are expecting for sure? did you went to the doctor for confirmation???

10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Once the strip is used, you cant use it again.
    The chemicals in strip which helps to identify the HCG in urine got used in the first time itself & cannot work next time!