PCOS- Metformin hydrochloride 500 mg

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by prettywomen123, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kalpanasunder

kalpanasunder New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am trying for 2nd baby,but my periods was irregular 2 months back i was
    diagnosed with pcos and dr gave me melmet 500mg thrice now iam getting my periods regular even before 5days.so now iam taking melmet twice only
    without consulting dr becos iam getting periods soon.becos i consulted dr in chennai now iam in uae.anyone suggest me about this will i get pregnant only with melmet tablets.

Thanking you
    Regards
    kalpana

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kalpana,
    The thread started became pregnant only with the aid of Metformin. There are few women who got pregnant naturally with PCOS, few with proper control of PCOS effect and Few ladies will require some more medical intervention!

When the right time comes, you will become pregnant!
    Baby dust to you!

3. kalpanasunder

kalpanasunder New IL'ite

Hi,
    Vasumathy,Thanks for ur wishes and reply.

regards
    kalpana

4. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am so happy to see this thread filled with so many questions as the starter of this thread. After my delivery, I will be sharing my views and my story with pcos and pregnancy through metformin.

This thread has proved useful to a lot of people including me. Great going.

Baby dust to all!

Regards
    PW

5. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Yes PW , your successful TTC attempt has been inspiring for us . My gyn kept telling me that Glycomet( diff brandname for Metformin) alone may help me in conceiving . I wasn't convinced when she used to tell me untill I saw your post confirming your pregnancy !!

6. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

I am new to this group but I have gone through all the threads of this post. Let me introduce myself. I am married since 3 years and immediately after marriage I was on BC for about 2 years. I stopped the pills in dec 08 and got my periods due to pills in Jan 2009.

After that my periods were missing for about 4 months and suddenly got back in April 2009. I consulted my GP in June 09 and she said it is normal to have irregular periods after stopping BC. As they didnt come back till oct 09, she did my blood tests and found that Androgen hormone levels are just above normal range. Suspecting mild PCOS she gave me Metformin 500mg.

I spotted 'period like' blood, just 2 days of taking metformin. It was very scanty and lasted only for about half a day only. I continued taking three 500mg tablets everyday. From my vaginal discharge changes, I could make out that possibly my cycle is getting normal.

It was clear transparent and sticky for 2-3 days and exactly 15 days after that i.e. 11 nov again I spotted blood. Again this time it is scanty.

Has anybody got this issue of scanty periods like me? What can be the causes? Does it indicate that am ovulating? I have been ttc since start of this year but failed due to irregular menses. My periods before marriage had 32-33 days cycle.

Thanks a lot
    TTC123

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

TTC,

Starting to use Metformin can give some changes in few women.. Dont get paranoid about the spoting.. Soon you will get your periods all regular.. If you are overweight make sure you exercise well.. Metformin will defnitly help in weight loss.. It did for me :)

So, give yourself sometime for the epriods to regularise.. then, you could plan for baby dancng !

Best Luck ! :thumbsup

8. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Dr Preethi!

Your explanation was very convincing and relaxing.
    I will keep you posted on any progress.

Cheers
    TTC123

9. rammu

rammu Senior IL'ite

Friends pl help.
    I have pcod and consume Metformin Hcl 500 G-REG-SR every day 3 times.My question is does consuming this pill will leasd to diabeties in future?I too have irregular periokds.

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Rammu,

Metformin is a drug given to regulate the glucose levels in an otherwise compromised body.. be it in adult or a symptomatic PCOS patient.

A drug which is given to balance the glucose ( which when goes haywire can lead to diabetes ) can never by itself cause the disease.

It is like saying, I had crocin and had high fever because of that.

Dont worry, you will not become Diabetic because of the tablet.