Support needed -- TTC & possible Endometriosis

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by HappilyMarried, Feb 11, 2016.

1. HappilyMarried

HappilyMarried Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I have posted a while back and now I am back with more queries and looking for support. Things have only gone downhill since my last post about delayed periods; I went to the ER for excruciating pelvic pain but was admitted overnight for a "possible" bowel obstruction (radiologist and ER doctor suspected but attending physician at the hospital said he didnt notice any) and then saw an obgyn for missed period (56 days between 2 cycles and period started by itself without any medicine). Then i had normal menstrual cycle Oct, Nov and Dec and back to no period in Jan and Feb. I wanted to find an new obgyn because the one I was seeing was not really concerned with knowing my problems/symptoms.

Due to holiday season (and insurance changes at end of year), i could not get an appointment with the doctor i wanted until early February. So listening to my symptoms during the appointment, the doctor immediately mentioned the she suspects i may have Endometriosis. I have most of the textbook symptoms like missed periods, excruciating pain before and during periods, painful bowel movements, constipation and/or sudden diarrhea, bloating and fatigue. We have been TTC'ing since more than 6 months, which my doctor says is no reason to panic and its too early to look at it as infertility. However, she recommended laparoscopy to determine that i really have endo so that we can start treatment ASAP. She talked about alternatives, like prescribing birth control pills and ultrasound but stressed that only reliable way to diagnose endo is by laparoscopy. DH & I discussed it and decided to go ahead with the diagnostic surgery; she will also be performing hysteroscopy, chromopertubation. She also prescribed progesterone for 12 days to induce periods, my LMP was Dec 8th.

So I am wondering if we are rushing into the surgery or if it is the right thing to do. Can anyone please give insight into this?

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Diagnostic lap is not a open surgery, its key hole surgery with 2-3 holes of 1-2cm made around tummy. It has faster healing. I had it once. Had hysteroscopy once too. You can handle those easily. Just one day procedures. Take rest for the next day to feel full fitness.
    Its better to check the endometriosis when doubts came. Its better to deal with this and then go ahead with treatments.
    All the best.

3. HappilyMarried

HappilyMarried Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much @Vasumathy.