Pre-conception exam?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by desichica, Oct 8, 2014.

1. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am fairly new in TTC. I was reading online, and apparently there is something called preconception exam. Do you ladies get it done when you start to TTC? I live in NJ. I never been to OB-Gyn in my life. I thought this might be a good way to start with a gynec. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

2. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Every year i go and get my check up done. Even i am ttc and so this time when i went for my regular check up i told my OBGYN about it. He explained to me everything in detail, did all the tests necessary. In fact i started after the check up only.

1 person likes this.
  3. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

N BTW i am in NJ. so if you have any questions abt the OBGYN i can help you out.

1 person likes this.
  4. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Thank you. Do they do blood-tests for a woman only, or they do tests for dh as well? They basically give advice on what supplements to take , right? We havent tried to conceive yet so far, but we are thinking in that direction now. I guess going to OB-Gyn is probably a good start?

5. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Pre-conception tests are especially necessary for those who have been TTC for a while but still not conceived naturally. Nothing to worry its usually some blood work, pelvic scan, husband's semen count check etc etc.

All the best. May you not need these tests and u conceive naturally soon :)

1 person likes this.
  6. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

My OBGYN asked only me to give samples and for my DH he said a regular yearly check up is fine initially. He asked me to take pre-natal.

Yes, going to a doc now wud be a good idea. This way we can build a relationship with the doc too.

1 person likes this.
  7. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for help :)