IUI, ICSI, IVF...which one??

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by rmuramka, Sep 15, 2014.

1. rmuramka

rmuramka Gold IL'ite

Hello girls,
    Married for 3 years and on TTC way since close to 2 years now. We are on some fertility medications and probably this journey is going to be longer than expected for us. But, While following all the posts in this 'Fertility' section, I have got few queries which I wish some of you experienced friends might help me with.

I still do not know what turn my TTC journey is going to take me in.....but

1. Of what I have seen so far, How successful is IUI I wish to know? This is because, even among the success stories which we see here, there are 'x' failed IUIs and then moved on to IVfs. Hence I am confused..is IUI a plain trial and error method, purely trying our luck before moving on to IVF..or does it have a good success rate?

2. Which is good .considering all the options (expenses, success rate, painful/painless)......IUI or ICSI??

3. How soon to decide on IVF? How much in advance should you prepare your body if you are thinking on considering IVF?

Might be very basic questions....but I wanted experienced inputs on them. Hence posting them here instead of goog'ing .

Thanks,
    Shilpa

2. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Rmuramka,

Well I cannot comment about IVF since had not been through one yet.. But cost-wise IUI is far far more affordable than IVF and ICSI. Regarding whether IUI is a trial and error method, it need not be the same for all. I can say abt myself...I have a history of 5 failed IUI's the latest one being last month. But at the same time, in this forum itself there was another lady who had IUI on the same day as mine and now she is pregnant. Same way, I have a friend who conceived twins in third round of IUI and now she is proud mother of a boy and a girl ( twins ) . Then again I know a lady who has had 6 failed iui's, 3 failed IVF's and then in 7th IUI attempt, she conceived. Thus, its just a matter of chance, luck and ofcourse the doctor's expertise.

All the best to you,[

Meera

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. nikitaram

nikitaram Silver IL'ite

Hi OP,
    The choice between IUI or IVF is based on the diagnosis for the delay in conception.
    Iui is normally the first line of treatment for women under 35 who have patent tubes and where there is no severe male factor infertility like very poor motility, low sperm count and morphology. Its also the first line of treatment for women who have a decent AMH and are having a problem ovulating on their own. The cumulative success rate of Iui over 4 cycles is abt 50%. Thats why most doctors dont recommend more than 4 iui cycles. Also with IUI its all abt timing the insemination and that depends on the skill of your doctor. The trial and error part of IUI is figuring out which medicine/injectables work best for you.
    So if you have age on your side please try 4 cycles of IUI. IVF has a higher success rate than IUI but its also more expensive and invasive.

4. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

When you will visit the doctor so they will let u know about your options open regarding treatment. Generally after knowing few things about u they wil ask to do some.blood test and then accordingly decide. Generally no doctor will directly jump to ivf/icsi unless situation is worst. most of the doctor will suggest atleast 3 iui and check the result. Some.mite try more iui count till 6. In between you mite have to do some.more tet like hsg laproscopy. If reports are normal then they would trt ivf/icsi accordingly. Ofcourse cost wise iui is less costly and less painful. But I doubt you have an option to choose what you want. If you are really facing issue with conceiving then directly take an appt with doc and do waste much time. Infertility treatments take lot of time which depends on your luck too. All the best and do not think much . You never know if your time is right you mite cconceive naturally.

Lots of baby dust to you

5. rmuramka

rmuramka Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the inputs and positive words girls!

By God's grace, I have everything fine at my end (touchwood). I have done a complete round of tests on my side, all hormones are perfect. AMH is around 6. HSG also done a while back. Had blocks in the tube, which I got cleared with a minor work. So, as of now..things look good on my side..which is 50% good.

My husband's counts are the main concern. We are currently taking medication for him..and things are improving slowly and steadily.
    I would probably be looking for a Miracle if I say...I am still somewhere positive and hopeful about conceiving naturally. As they say...somewhere deep down,,i have this gut feeling..that it is going to be a natural conception for me!waitingsmiley.

But...I am preparing myself for the other options as well. And hence..those questions. I might have more questions coming.....when I shall poke you dearies again! Until then.........

Have healthy...Fun filled days ahead......and lets save our energy and positivity for the darlings to come hugsmiley

1 person likes this.