IVF in India or USA - Suggestion plz

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by rekhaatu, Jul 1, 2014.

1. rekhaatu

rekhaatu Silver IL'ite

Hi.. We are suggested to go for IVF due to low count and motility. Though the doctors suggested it 2 yrs back, we wanted to go natural and tried various homeo and ayurvedic medicines but they didn't work.
    Now, we are preparing our minds for IVF. We live in USA and want your suggestion whether it is better to go for the procedure in USA or is it better to go to India and have the procedure done.
    Please suggest.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

2. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Have you checked your insurance? There are certain limitations on the amount that they can provide for IVF. Some insurance do not cover any type of fertility treatments. This is important before you make a decision about US or India.

Since you live in US, it will be easier to get the treatment without much interruption to your routine. But the cost may be prohibitive.

Doing it India, you have to take days-off from work and travel there for a period. but it can be affordable.

Explore the options with your insurance.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    It depends on your financial situation. If your insurance offers IVF coverage then doing it in the US is a good option. A single IVF cycle can cost anywhere from $10,000-$17,000 if paying completely out of pocket. Cryopreservation of embryos will cost around $1500-$2000 and is not covered by insurance. Genetic testing of embryos if required will also cost $4000, and few insurance plans will cover it.
    Many clinics have options for self-paying patients, such as multi-cycle discounts and shared-risk programs. But it is a very expensive process even with all this.
    Even the insurance plans that offer IVF coverage will have limits such as 3 attempts/live birth. In addition you will also have co-pays for all the pre-IVF diagnostic tests.
    I do not have any knowledge of the Indian system, though I am sure it will be more affordable. It was not practical for us to travel there, otherwise we would have considered it.

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

HI

I recently did IVF in india,below are the cost.

FRESH IVF CYCLE CHARGES

1. 90k = For Procedure(To grow follicles, ICSI fertilization, preparing embryo)
    2. 75k -1L = For injections, stimulation, medicines

FET CHARGES

3. 25k = To store extra embryos for year
    4. 25k = FET Procedure charges
    5. 5k = FET medicine charges(To grow endometrium lining)

So around 2Lacs(max is 2.5Lacs) for IVF

5. confusedwoman

confusedwoman Silver IL'ite

Hi OP,
    We got IVF done in the USA payed $ 12,500 out of pocket ( not covered by insurance), luckily it was a first time success story :). We decided not to opt for India as we had visa issues, also did not want my parents and in laws to know.

6. forahuja

forahuja New IL'ite

I have had IVF both in India and USA. Both were unsuccessful. The main hassle in USA is that you are making endless enquiries and insurance limits, combining with you husband's fertility coverage and end up paying for those medicines and treatments not covered by either. It took me 5 months to juggle between 2 insurance companies to get to the stage to run a IVF cycle. Also, because I had not much experience with insurance route. But in the end, we paid 3-4 K from out of pocket.
    Doctors in USA @ Cornell NY were very professional, open, direct and very efficient.

In India- experience was very different. Here our insurance carrier refused point blank for any sort of fertility coverage. So we had to pay all. It was much cheaper here. But the experience of doctor and hospital was nothing short of a nightmare. They were cheater, greedy, unethical, immoral and completely unscientific. However, this might be my 1 bad experience at one hospital in India. I am not sure of other places. I am not giving you any statistics to base your decision upon. But keep in mind that a successful IVF could mean a combination of many things from hormonal levels to IVF facility standards to ethical, scientific, moral approach of doctors and technicians … and not to forget in the end it is LUCK.