Please clarify my doubts about fertility & contraceptive

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by generic, Jun 7, 2014.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I'm married for nearly 3 years and have used contraceptive pills from the beginning...But these hormonal pills are causing me lot of health issues...such as nausea, headaches and weight gain upto 5kgs and it's played havoc on my skin as well...It's not at all suiting me inspite of trying different brands of pills with different compositions..Ive decided to come off pills shortly and adopt alternate method of contraception...Due to some personal and family problems I am not in a position to start family for another 1 or 1.5 yrs atleast so would like to switch to condoms till the time I want to TTC...I have a few worries:
    1. I've used OCPs for so long, won't it affect my fertility? Has anyone faced fertility issue after long term usage of pills?
    2. How effective are condoms really? Even when used properly mistakes do happen now and then, it may tear...then what to do. If I use emergency contraceptive will it cause harmful side effects as Ipill is also hormonal (not regularly but during emergency)
    3. Is it possible to use some kind of spermicide along with condom...for increased effectiveness...Please suggest any good spermicide brand available in India.
    4. My friend told me that she and her husband are using combination of condoms and safe period and it's working for them...How reliable is it?
    (also I'm not interested in using IUDs such as copper T at this point of time..)

I have consulted reputed gynec for these things but she's always busy and not interested in taking time to answer such routine questions...always interested in prescribing tests and attending to deliveries only..:( I request the ladies to respond to my queries.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Hi Generic,
    First off, I would consider switching to another doctor who actually takes time to answer your questions. These are valid concerns and the doctor should go over them with you.
    Condoms are best used with a spermicide. They can be risky used just on their own. I'm sorry I don't know about brands. Using these during the safe period will improve the safety, but you are still taking a chance.
    Ask the doctor about other methods such as the contraceptive shot or an IUD. One of these may work better for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thanks MalStrom for your reply.., here gynecs do not give me any option except pills/condoms...I'm scared of using IUD as I dont have kids as yet so cannot take risk...It's usually recommended for ladies who have atleast 1 baby. The Depo provera shot is again hormonal and the doctor warned me that it can cause irregularities in menses later on...i don't wanna inject more hormones into myself...as it is I'm a complete mess after long term OC pill usage:(

4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

so many views & no replies for such a common issue..:(