Infertility

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by shanthinis, Mar 3, 2014.

1. shanthinis

shanthinis New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am 29 years old. My husband is 32 years old. Me and my husband are trying for baby since 1 year now without any protective measures. When approached Gyneocologist and they have prescribed my husband to take Thyroxine 100 ug for 2 months. In parallel, we did the semen analysis also at a Urology center. They have prescribed Ciprofloxacin 500mg for 14 days-2 dosage each day. At the moment my husband stopped taking thyroxine and taking only Cipro.

Our worry is whether the hypothyrodism is causing issue in low fertility and motility or the infection in semen (for suggesting to take Ciprofloxacin) the main problem now?

Is hypothyrodism resolved with the intake of Ciprofloxacin or are both different issues? Please clarify.

Due to the above issue my menstrual cycle extends upto 40 days if we do an intercourse. But if there is no intercourse it becomes normal of 30 days.However, my hormone test result was normal, when I did my blood test.

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthini,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum. :)
    You can find our forum guidelines here...

New sperm production will take around 72 days. If your dh is taking some medicines, it will take that time to produce healthy sperms. You should wait for it & repeat SA for the quality of it...
    Your cycles extends with IC? Its kind of weird feeling. Either your expectation & stress is playing or something isn't revealed in your fertility. Have you checked your BMI against your weight? It should be in normal range. Have you taken blood test for thyroid, prolactin & sugar levels? Those will have their hold too! Whether you have taken up scan? What is your internals have to say? Clear all these before figuring out the reasons for your extended cycles. There must be anyone of these factors playing. Check it out!

Hope things will settle down with you soon!
    All the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. shanthinis

shanthinis New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply!!!

Yes we have to do SA after 72 days. But, since my husband is taking Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic) , is it safe to have intercourse in these 72 days?? or intercourse after the SA only?

Yes. am little overweight. But, am under diet and go to fitness center to maintain my weight.
    And, yes the blood test for thyroid, hormone , prolactin and sugar levels are tested and they are normal. And, my gynaec has done a scan too and says my internals are quite normal.

So, what would you suggest me in this case?. Is my condition normal or should I request my gynaec for any other further tests?

4. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

I am bit confused.. why did doctors at urology center prescribed antibiotics after semen analysis??

5. shanthinis

shanthinis New IL'ite

even we don't know the problem. they said they will give a detailed report after 6 weeks (i.e) after the next SA.

But, can we have intercourse in these 72 days??any idea??

6. Vasumathy

You can have IC. I don't think those antibiotics will harm you through sperms! Only Other infections can come because of physical contact, this should not affect you!

7. Mona2312

Mona2312 Senior IL'ite

Hi shatinis

I m sailling on some boat. my DH also had same infecton problem and doc gave him ciprofloxin.
    .I also cought infetion from my DH .
    As u said after SA dr. priscribed ciprofloxin
    to ur DH . i think it is because of DH has infection problem in his seman. in this infection
    bacteria kills or make weak the sperms. thats y sperm will unable to complete his whole journey . and because of this infection u may also infected at the time of I C.

and ya one more thing Thyroxin is for thyroid problemand ciprofloxin is for infection
    both are different things. so i think ur DH should take both med. and you can also consult to ur doctor. some times ciprofloxin shows side effects like stomach ache or skin problem. so make sure ur DH will not have any side effect. or he should take ciprofloxin with milk.

8. shanthinis

shanthinis New IL'ite

Thanks Mona!!!

His intake of Cipro is ending this week.But his SA is only next month end. So, shall we avoid IC this month and next month? Or Can we have IC?

Yes. even I guess I might have got infection. Need to check with doctor.

Will this infection be cured with Cipro?? any idea based on your experience?

9. Vasumathy

Hi Shanthi,
    May be you should check with your doc before coming to a conclusion.

10. Mona2312

Mona2312 Senior IL'ite

hi Shti, whatever i told u last day it was my experience as well as doctor's words they told us that time.so this is true bacteria definatly kills sperms or make them weak . but after taking antibiotics this problem can be cured. may be ur DH counts will be reach on normal level if the problem is only infection .

but as vasu said u consult ur doc first then come on any conclusionspecially for u.

loads of baby dust.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014