Effect of progesterone pills on your menstrual cycle?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Indianwife2000, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Indianwife2000

Indianwife2000 Silver IL'ite

Hi all wonderful ILadies,

I went for my first IUI approximately 11 days back. My dr. has put me on 100 mg prometrium (a progesterone pill to be taken vaginally 2 days after my IUI). Unfortunately, I don't have any obvious symptoms - neither for pregnancy nor for periods. So, I am a little confused and want to ask if anyone has experienced something similar and what were your final results?

I want to know what changes did the progesterone pills/gel make to your menstrual cycle? Did it delay your periods? If so, by how many days? While on progesterone, and when you eventually found out that you were not pregnant, did you still feel like your periods were on their way? Or the PMS were completely masked by the progesterone supplements? I know that I can wait for a few more days and take an HPT, but just want to understand the effect of the progesterone.

Please share your experiences.

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For some people the pogesterone pills don't alter anything on their menstrual cycle, it just helps the womb if there is an implantation to proceed with successful growing of the embryo. For others, it delays periods and only after stopping it periods will appear because it alters the menstrual cycle! At times only beta hCG can give us clue on whether it has happened or not in the early stage.
    You can give it a try with HPT after 14 days from ovulation. Hope that will turn out to be better one! All the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. Indianwife2000

Thank you Vasu! I understand that my AF will not show up until I stop taking progesterone However, I would like to know if this pill masks the pre-menstrual symptoms too, assuming one is not pregnant? By this time in my cycle, I usually have very strong PMS, but this time I hardly have any! And at the same time, I don't have any pregnancy symptoms either. I am very confused....I will wait till the weekend to take the test.

Ladies, please share your experiences if you have taken this pill/gel and any effects on your PMS or periods, if you were not able to conceive?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Indianwife2000

113 views...just one reply :(.

5. Vasumathy

Progesterone levels will increase highly in body when there is a successful conception, otherwise the increase is minimum. Progesterone pills make the body to believe that conception has happened and makes it to proceed further, this is what makes the body to delay periods. Some women's body is intelligent enough to understand this cheat play or the progesterone levels are not sufficient so that periods will come irrespective of these pills.
    Even PMS symptoms will hidden with the progesterone levels in body. So, its not possible or trust worthy to track the symptoms until the HPT is done! Do the HPT ot have a word with your gynec. All the best. Baby dust to you.

6. Indianwife2000

Thanks so much once again, Vasu! Your explanation makes sense.

Also, today is 13dpiui for me and I used an HPT and the result was a BFN. I kind of knew this since I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms. I think my first IUI failed....very very disappointed :((.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  7. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

I second Vasu reg the progrestrone influence on periods . Dont lose hope till you see the AF. Chance of BFP is still there so why to spoil the same with your negative thoughts . Also some/ most of the women don't experience pregnancy symptom this early dear . Hope you tested in the morning first sample. Just relax and wait for one more week and try testing again . I know I have easily asked you to wait . But we don't have much options dear . Stay calm and relax . Have loads of hope and trust your body .
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. Vasumathy

Never come to a conclusion based on symptoms or missing symptoms! It will fool us. Keep the trust in your body & move on with your routine. It will happen if it has happen this cycle or next. Never lose hope or don't give up easily!
    All the best! Baby dust to you.

9. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Please be positive, you never know. Don't think too much about this and focus on your daily routine.
    One thing, I wanted to ask you, I believe your are in USA. which coast do you live, because, when I see the time of your posts, it is always past 12am and sometime even like 1:30 am or so, why do you stay so late? That is not good for the health as well, especially when you taking treatment. Your metabolism will get affected. Please goto bed on time and take good care

10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to steal the thread with my question, since this is related to progesterone as well, thought I could ask here. For my previous cycle, my doctor asked me to go for progesterone and other tests on day 18 of my cycle. When the results came, she asked me to test for pregnancy, as my level was 21.5 on a non-medicated cycle. But I had got my periods then and she was surprised.

Now am so confused, could it be possible that I could have got pregnant but that did not work out? Will we have a good progesterone level and still also possible to not get pregnant? Please advise?
    Will the progesterone levels raise only when there is pregnancy or will it always arise post ovulation?