Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get pregnant

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by uma321, Apr 11, 2013.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I went to a doctor few months ago for pre pregnancy checkup. All she did was weight checkup, blood test to find out if i'm immune to rubenna, and pap smear. I'm not sure what else I need to get tested before planning for a baby.

Also, did your spouse take any kind of tests before planning for pregnancy?

Thanks!

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get preg

Apart from the above, I was put on prenatal vitamins before we started trying.

4. mullaikodi

mullaikodi Silver IL'ite

Re: Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get preg

hi all,
    Do we need to take prenatal vitamins with DHA ? An OB/GYN told me to take prenatal multivitamins with DHA. Other GYN simply told prenatal Multivitamins with 800mcg folic acid is enough..

5. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

None, although a quick anemia test and Pap smear are good to get done.

If your blood group is unknown, you should find out, just in case you're Rh-, while hubby is Rh+. That causes pregnancy problems unless appropriate measures are taken.

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies. I'm taking multivitamin with 800mcg folic acid ("Prenatal one" brand - a 100% natural one).

My blood group is B+ and husband's is O+. So, no Rh issues.

I do pap smear test every year. So far everything came out normal (touchwood)

Confused (really don't want to call you in this name. what's your pet name by the way?),

what do you mean by anemia test?

I have another doctor appointment this week. I'm compiling the list of questions to ask her.I can ask her about this too.

Mullaikodi,

Never heard of DHA component in multivitamin. Need to ask my Gyn.

Anything else I need to take care of?

Vasumathy,

Thanks so much for the link. It's very helpful.

Rakhii,

Thanks a lot!

7. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

Uma
    Your gynac should do the complete thyroid panel..as normal range of tjis hormone is very important for concieving .i remember my gynac did tsh,haemoglobin,Cbc .these ar basic and then i forced her to send me for Lh and fsh too to rule out pcos condition as i was nervous and anxious

8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Sweetangel,

TSH is the Thyroid-stimulating hormone test? what do you mean by haemoglobin and CBC?

So there is a test called Lh and FSH?

Can you please elaborate?

Can you also list down the tests you took before planning for pregnancy?

9. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

uma check the link given by Vasumathy. It has almost all your questions covered. DHA is good for the brain development of the baby. My doc said , thyroid check is the most important since in each trimester certain level has to be maintained for a healthy pregnancy. Best wishes.

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Soumya,

I checked the link that Vasumathy shared. My question is, do I need to take all the tests (I don't even understand some of them)? What the necessary tests I need to take as a part of pre planning?

Also want to know if my insurance covers these tests (need to call the insurance company).