Does HSG test effect ovulation?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Divya4, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Sorry for the big post.
    I am trying to conceive from 1.5 year. My periods are regular ( 26 to 28 days cycle ). i ovulated every month and the clearblue ovulation test also showed i ovulated every month between 12 - 14 day. I went through HSG test and ultrasound sound test 2 months back to check if everything is normal or not.
    Both tests came back normal .I ovulated the month I had ultrasound test.
    But I did not ovulate the month I had HSG test. My ovulation predictor showed me i did not ovulate and period came after 27 days. The next month I ovulated on 16th day ( first time late ovulation with a 30 day cycle). Again the next cycle my predictor kit did not show I ovulated. I am using ovulation kits from day 9 to day 18. Can anyone please tell me why I am not ovulating like before, after my HSG test. Has anybody faced such situation after HSG test.is it normal to happen like this after HSG test. please give me some suggestions how should I proceed now.

Are there any natural ways to regulate my ovulation and cycles as before?

I am going into more depression and I am worrying a lot with this new problem. Please help me :cry:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Divya,
    HSG will not alter your ovulation, may be other factors are causing hindrance in your cycle! Check out whether you have increased in weight or other physical changes has occurred.
    Check with your gynec on the ovulation. You can take up a follicular study once to ensure the things in the body as well!
    Hope things will return to normal condition soon. All the best. Baby dust to you.

3. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vasumathy,

I will talk to my doctor.

4. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply anu. How many days did it take to again regulate ovulation? I ovulated last cycle naturally.

5. luvlyroses

luvlyroses Gold IL'ite

Divya,
    HSG test does not affect ovulation. Actually I have seen doctors doing both HSG and IUI in same cycle.
    Did you get your hormone tests done? There may be other factors involved. Please check with your doctor.

6. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the reply lovlyroses. I did not go through harmone test. I ovulated last month naturally.

7. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Divya, are you using only home-based ovulation kit for the tests? Or are you doing regular progesterone tests too? If not, please check them too. This is not to scare you, but I used to do home based ovulation test and it would always come positive. But my D21 Progesterone always used to come low (<1.0) and doctor used to tell me that I didn't ovulate. I asked her once why does the home kit show positive and she said that it is just the ovulation 'predictor' kit. It is no check for whether ovulation occurred or not. The kit just tests LH hormone and if it increases it predicts that ovulation will happen. But for ovulation to actual happen depends on other factors too. Of course, if you are doing regular progesterone tests also, and they are coming fine, then please ignore this info :)

HSG should not affect the ovulation negatively. In fact, many times it is hoped that the dye will clear minor scars, stimulate the ovaries and induce ovulation.

1 person likes this.
  8. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for clearing my doubt and giving so much information sweetshreya. I did not take progesterone test. But when I went for ultrasound test in dec, my doc told me I was going to ovulate in that cycle from the result. I will talk to doctor about progesterone test when I meet her next time to confirm about my ovulation again.

1 person likes this.
  9. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Sorry, I forgot to add..... another easy way you can check whether you have ovulated or not is keeping your BBT chart. Are you doing it? If not start it, this temperature chart can tell you or your doctor many things about your body. In fact make an excel sheet that generates a graph automatically.

10. Divya4

Divya4 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shreya, I am taking bbt temperature from past 5 months. I am checking my ovulation with it also. I am using fertility friend to chart my bbt.

1 person likes this.