TSH, TTC and Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by pursuehappiness, Mar 26, 2013.

1. pursuehappiness

pursuehappiness Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I took the TSH test in January after a miscarriage and the level was 3.8. I have mild PCOS with regular ovulation and periods and am on Metformin for insulin resistance.

I was asked to do another TSH test in March and the level has risen to 4.2 which is higher than the range of 0.3 - 4.0. My TSH levels have always been normal in the range of 2.5 when I conceived.

My doubts are:
    1. Are the levels in range for TTC?
    2. Should I start taking medicines? (Have not met the doctor yet )
    3. If I take medicines , should it be continued lifelong or can it be discontinued as the level is just above normal?

Would request IL'ites with high TSH and who have conceived to please reply.

Thanks and God bless.

2. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    my leveles were 6 when checked first time,second time 8 then i started thyronorm 50 mcg dailly morning from then my levels are under control and i had conceived through ivf but unfortunately lost twins preg at 16 weeks.

my gyn says tsh level should be ideally between 1 to 2 when in ttc.

3. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

Hi pursuehappiness,

As you mentioned the range between 0.3 to 4.0 is ideal . Anywhere between this is good to conceive as what I heard is TSH level increases after pregnancy and that's the reason it's better to be in the range when we conceive.

4.2 is not too high but were you taking medication for thyroid and stopped it recently ?

Answer to your questions from what I know.

1. It's better if you can reduce it dear as mentioned above it increases after pregnancy .
    2&3. Discuss with your doctor before starting the medicine .They will guide you accordingly on went to stop or most of the times they may ask you to continue with a minimum dosage .

Mine was around 10 when I checked for the first time and in the recent months it's around 3 . I am taking the medicine still but yet to conceive for a different reason.

Good luck dear

4. pursuehappiness

pursuehappiness Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have never taken any medicines for thyroid as its always been in the range ,the maximum being 3.8. Its the first time that its crossed 4,or probably, it would have earlier also but I never realised.

3-4 months before I conceived it was 2.5 and I feel in a much better range.

Would speak to the doctor and see if any minimum dose is required.

Can you suggest if its possible to bring it down naturally by avoiding some kinds of food ?

God bless

5. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

My doctor adviced me to avoid cabbage and brocoli .
    Though I have not completely stopped taking it but reduced the level of intake than usual.

Good luck dear.