HCG injections to avoid miscarriage during pregnency is anbody had it????

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by saran27, Mar 5, 2013.

1. saran27

saran27 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    my close friend is pregnant(just now confirmed),since she had a faint line in HPT and already had a history of miscarriage her doctor had put her on HCG injection to prevent miscarriage,is it safe? did anyone had it and had successful pregnancy? my friend is worried too much kindly help her,she don t have connectivity to net so i am asking behalf of her ...:) she is telling she is having bit pain in ovaries after sometime taking that one....but her doctor says no issues it seems.... do any IL ladies have experience with this injection...i searched in net it says the injection is mainly used to rupture the eggs ...so will it act differently when some one is pregnant? will it really help to prevent miscarriage?kindly give ur advice on this...

2. pursuehappiness

pursuehappiness Senior IL'ite

Hi saran

I had taken HCG injections till 14 weeks and its given to maintain pregnancy as HCG is the first hormone which is released immediately after the embryo attaches to the uterine wall. HCG level rises till about 14 weeks and then starts reducing once the placenta takes over the nutrition for the baby.
    I used to experience increased nausea and vomiting when i was on HCG as this hormone is also responsible for causing morning sickness,and thats why doctors say that morning sickness reduces after the 13-14 weeks as placenta takes over.

I had a miscarriage after 16 weeks but that was due to a different reason and not HCG.

So yes, HCG is given to prevent miscarriage and support early pregnancy.

3. saran27

saran27 Senior IL'ite

Hi pursuehappiness,
    Thanks for ur reply,and i am very sorry for ur loss...:(,hope god will give u strength to overcome this...,i ll keep u in my prayers too

4. pursuehappiness

Thanks Saran. Do keep me in your prayers.

5. Deepikad

Deepikad Silver IL'ite

Hi Saran,

HCG injection is completely safe and the side effects like nausea etc is temporary and holds good benefits in pregnancy. I was on HCG injection from week 6 until week 14.
    This is a weekly injection costing some 500 rs.
    So your friend could be rest assured that she is on the right track

All the best for her pregnancy!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

Hi saran,

Even my doc prescribed weekly hcg injections for me..I took them from 5th week upto 12 th week..
    I didn't know much abt hcg but followed the docs advice..she said it helps sustain the pregnancy..

In my case...I started spotting at the end of my 12 th week and found that I had had a missed miscarriage as the fetal growth had stopped just after 8 weeks...but I too suffered from severe nausea and vomiting....

If ur friend has doubts..ask her to clarify everything with her doctor....

Pursuehappiness,
    Sorry about ur loss dear..have u taken any tests to find out the reasons..?

7. pursuehappiness

Dear luckyme,

There were tests done on the foetus ,but nothing was amiss and the growth was proper.But i guess I also had a missed miscarriage as I was feeling out of the pregnancy 2-3 days before I started bleeding.

I have done Glucose tolerance, TSH and the antibodies test but all are normal.. Have been put on metformin now, after the miscarriage as I have very mild PCOS, which does not affect either my ovulation or periods.But i seem to be insulin resistant.

Doctor said ,it could have been incompetent cervix as I didnt have any pain before or while bleeding,but in the 12 week NT scan, the cervix length was 3.5 cms.

Anyway, so are you TTC or expecting?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

Saran , sorry to hijack the thread...I will be opening a new one for q n a regarding m/cs...

Pursuehappiness,

I am just recovering rightnow...I had my d n c on 23rd feb...have mild spotting still...I should get recovered fully by end of this week..
    I haven't done any tests till now to try n find the cause...my doc didn't suggest any...but I wasn't too happy with her so I will be changing my doc now..I am just wondering when( how soon) I should approach the new doc for any diagnostic tests...more in the new thread